32 or 64 bit?

Thread: 32 or 64 bit?

Tech Wizard

Default 32 or 64 bit?

What's the difference? 64 bit seems more accepted nowadays with many new music products (i.e soundcards, plug ins...etc). Are there any drawbacks I should beware of in purchasing a 64 bit platform computer? I'm a bit worried that some things in my studio might not be compatible
    Thx
    Last edited by Rick L; 04-08-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Tech Wizard

32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor, handles information. Long story short.... 32bit windows I believe is able to access 3.5gig ram and 64 bit I believe is something like 16gig. The ability for you to use more ram.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have had 64-bit for a while. If there aren't drivers for 64-bit it will just run in 32-bit compatibility mode.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I have had 64-bit for a while. If there aren't drivers for 64-bit it will just run in 32-bit compatibility mode.
    This. There are no drawbacks to a 64 bit system that I've been able to find so far.

Except that windows 7 doesn't have hardware profiles anymore, but I'm trying to code a work around for that.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

if I run in 64bit mode in Logic lots of my plugins open up in some 32bit bridge thing. it can be a bit annoying, but whatever...

there are still some hardware manufacturers who have not coded a driver to run on a 64 bit systems (even in 32 bit mode)

Korg (all firewire products as well as some usb products) and Allen and Heath (1D for sure possibly others) being the more notable ones... Korg choses to ignore the issue altogether while A&H whole heartedly admits the problem and has released a beta of a driver they are working on...

so ya, there are STILL issues with some hardware running one a 64bit system. best bet is to check with all the manufacturers of your gear before making the jump. or you will end up with a $2000 paper weight like me....