Computer RAM - Mac + PC

Default Computer RAM - Mac + PC

I am currently running windows vista 32-bit on a desktop. I know that there are limitations in 32-bit processing that only allow the computer to really make use of ~3gig of RAM (I have 4 gig installed at the moment).

I know that 64 bit architecture with Windows 7 and Vista 64 can basically take up to 128 Gig of ram without running into the same problem.

I've searched around the web trying to find the answer, but how much RAM does a current generation Mac actually utilize?

I've been a window's junkie since DOS. And thinking about getting a Mac just for ease of use as a dedicated word processing and DJing machine. So I know more than a bit around a PC, but I don't know much about Mac's tbh.

I know for now 4 gig of ram is generally solid in most machines, and I don't think there are too many programs out there that really require much more than that. But with computers I like to be safe rather than sorry. If a mac and subsequent programs can take full advantage of more than 4, it might bend me that way.

Tech Wizard

Operating systems are to the point where it is the hardware limitations anymore. Standard motherboards in laptops can only support 4 gigs of memory (ram). Some more some less. Desktops tend to hold around 16 gigs.

If you're buying a laptop you only will need about 4 gigs at the most. Expecially mac or linux because they don't have the amount of background processes that windows has. You generally will not need more than that. I mean you wont be rendering 3d films with that laptop will you? You also don't want a laptop running 2x 8gig sticks of ram or more, because that will be expensive and run very hot. You're not interested in paying $300 or more on ram right?

If you're looking for a mac desktop for productions I would say stick to about 8gigs at the most. That' s a lot, I would suggest buying a good sound card and video card. A sound card doesn't necessarily mean better sound. They provide your computer with the ability to handle sounds on separate memory banks. Meaning it doesn't take up memory or cpu usage to handle sounds. Sound and video cards have their own memory installed on them.

Lets say off topic you're a gamer. You want the best video card you can afford, because that video card (as well provide better visuals) fetches certain visuals in the game such as Trilinear filtering. It grabs the texture details so your processor wont have to. Same with an audio card. The card will fetch sounds before they are herd so your computer wont have to.
    Last edited by evilspaz; 04-08-2010 at 11:20 AM.

But a Mac (laptop) can utilize the full 8 gig of ram then if I'm not mistaken, but 4 is the general "norm" without problems. And that makes sense, because I definitely do not plan on rendering much video at all on the machine.

I actually used to be a big time gamer before I switched my focus to mixing and a bit of production. So I know exactly what you mean by getting a good sound card.

I just wasn't sure if running Reason/Ableton/Traktor (not necessarily all at the same time) would need more than 4 gig of ram, or if I'd even see any type of improvement by installing the optional 8 gig. (It'd basically make me decide between a 13" laptop with 8 gig ram, or 15" with 4 gig or the like, same pricepoint different options).

I'm just so used to Windows terminology and issues that it's hard getting my head around a Mac.

Tech Wizard

hey by all means if you're wanting to put the extra cash up get the 8 gigs. Really, its always good to have head room. Ive never ran more than 4 gigs on a laptop and I used ableton and traktor at the same time no problem. Its better to get 8 now rather than 4 now and 2 or 4 later. Expecially with all the world floods and storms and stuff. Ram prices have gone up considerably. (strangely)

Myself I like a larger display so I would want the 15 inch. I never liked squinting at a small screen for ableton. Traktor is whatever... you don't need to look at traktor a whole lot.

4 G MBP is plenty for almost all audio apps i'd say.

The more Gs the better for HD video rendering but audio processing is just not that RAM intensive (As in 4GB is plenty)

15" is just right for screen real estate. I have a 27" Samsung Monitor I use for video editing with my MBP. Seems zippy enough :-)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

The recent unibody mbp can handle upto 8gb
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |