Soundcard Help!

Thread: Soundcard Help!

Tech Wizard

Default Soundcard Help!

Right, the thing is that i am a bedroom DJ.
    I am a total noobie to all of these different types of inputs and outputs, so if anything it is advice that i need most.

I have a home HI-FI system which is the source of sound.. However i do not know which soundcard i should be looking for at all!
    My Computer has 2 usb ports, no firewire but a USB to FIREWIRE adapter is a possibility if such a thing is neccesary.
    at the moment i am using Traktor's internal mixer as i do not own a mixer myself.
    Need cueing finction and prefferably a Good quality soundcard..
    Can somebody please explain roughly what i need with maybe some soundcard suggestions..?

Thankyou all.

Joe.

Sounds like you need something simple like an Audio 2 DJ from Native Instruments. You would plug the Adapter into Channel A, and the two ends (L-R) into you HI-FI. Then you use Channel B for your headphones. Easy peasy.

Both channels also have volume control on the soundcard.

Just load the drivers before you plug the card in and set up your audio output in Traktor.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Wizard

What would i use the outputs for though?

Joe.

Tech Mentor

channel a and b pilmat is referring to ARE the OUTPUTS.
    Stanton SCS3 System

Tech Wizard

But then what are the actual Channel A and B holes for then?..

Joe.

Tech Mentor

they're there to plug in your speakers and your headphones.

here's a drawing:
    Stanton SCS3 System

Tech Wizard

Thankyou mate. But if you look at a picture of the Audio 2, Which Channel Should i use?
    The Headphones and the speakers go in the outputs, but What are channels A and B for?

Thankyou for everything mate.

Joe.

Tech Mentor

these labels on top seem to be pretty much useless...just another way to name the two outputs i guess.
    if you have a look at the 360° view of the soundcard on the Native Instruments homepage you'll see that it only has the two output ports and on the other side there's just the usb port.
    Stanton SCS3 System

I think I understand New Boys question. Channel A and B that you see on the top in green light up when the A2DJ detects valid inputs from the computer. As soon as you have audio steaming (digitally through the USB) to the sound card (i.e. press play on a deck) channel A lights up and whatever you have connected to output A will receive analog audio to play through the speakers. The same is true for B, but this time you need to do something like press the Cue button (the one with a headphone on it) for the B to turn green and when you press play then on that deck (and assuming the line fader is all the way down) you will get audio out of output B into your headphones.

So Channel A and B are the digital inputs from the computer through the USB, and Output A and B are the converted analog audio for you listening equipment.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad