Ableton Live - Where to start (DJing)

Default Ableton Live - Where to start (DJing)

Seriously, I like it. I also don't know a thing about going around in it.

I've been messing around with different software choices, Torq Mixlab, Virtual DJ Demo, and a cracked version of Traktor atm. I'm trying to figure out what will work best for me, and what's the most interesting. And so I can decide what piece of software to buy in the near future. So many options has got my head spinning a bit, but in a good way.

I was over a buddies earlier today, and he had previously bought Ableton Live, but primarily uses SSL. We were messing around with it, but he doesn't know anything about the software really and neither do I at this point. But it got me thinking.

Are there any really good guides out there for Ableton, and how to use it as a DJing interface?

From everything I've seen with it, it really looks pretty wicked. A bit more complex to setup perhaps, but it also leads into production work and I like that feature.

I've been watching some youtube videos, and also searched the forums and the internet, but was wondering if anyone has some great articles bookmarked or if I should pony up the cash to get a book on it.

I'm over my buddies house fairly often at the moment, so it's something I will have time to mess around with.

I guess where would a complete noob start with Ableton?

Thanks in advance.

Check out Groove 3 at www.groove3.com for some AWESOME tut vids. As well as Tom Cosm... God among men, I love this guy. All his ableton knowledge is free to the public (although he has a member section, dude's gotta make a livin) and he has gotten me from A to B and we're on the way to D right now (C is boring :-p). www.cosm.co.nz
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

thanks so much. Actually just checked out the website and was able to download the demo as well, so don't have to wait to head over to my buddies :P

I can see myself spending a lot of time watching these tutorials. It's all really interesting.

Watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2IE...layer_embedded at Tom Cosm's site at the moment, really gets to the /real/ basics, but shows how to start on production stuff which is neat

Quote Originally Posted by DJMutagen View Post
    Check out Groove 3 at www.groove3.com for some AWESOME tut vids. As well as Tom Cosm... God among men, I love this guy. All his ableton knowledge is free to the public (although he has a member section, dude's gotta make a livin) and he has gotten me from A to B and we're on the way to D right now (C is boring :-p). www.cosm.co.nz
    Thank you so much for the links btw once again, spent all night (and still going) reading and watching tutorial vids. Got the Groove 3 DJ with Ableton Live - Vol 1 watch for 30 days thing, and what a video. Really lit my eyes up to the abilities of ableton.

I mean, some of the stuff is a no brainer (I still need to practice, but I comprehend the process) but it's nice seeing it laid out in front of you. Been messing around with it since what... 4pm and now it's almost 1am.

I can see how ableton is so popular now as well, because it can hit the production and DJing side of things all in one. Before I had seen it, but really had no idea of the potential because I couldn't make it do what I want (or see how to at all really).

This really has me second guessing now if I want to pony up for ableton, or continue with the Traktor route I had planned previously. I'll have to mess about with it some more

And this is just one day of messing around.