How to sync two computers' BPMs (PLEASE HELP)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How to sync two computers' BPMs (PLEASE HELP)

Here's the deal:
    Me and my friend are trying to sync up our BPMs together so we can tandem DJ at parties. He runs Torq, I run Traktor Pro. I know we probably cant sync the programs directly because they arent compatible... BUT there has to be some program out there that could receive the BPMs from our respective mixing programs, right?? If there was that program then we could just sync our computers together using that program, right?? Any info or ideas you guys have would be awesome. Maybe you know a better way to do it, that would be awesome too.

PS. We both have Ableton Live and I know I've heard people talk about how easy it is to sync those up. Is there some easy way we could route our programs into Ableton then sync our computers using Ableton? Preferably this would be a solution that wouldnt require spending a lot of money... THANKS!

Well the easiest option to say would be do it by ear. Or both get on the same page as far as software is concerned. I'm not sure there is a way to match traktor and torq together, it really may just take some old school nudging to get the job accomplished.

There is definitely folks who know more about it than I do however, hopefully they'll chime up soon
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

there are functions like midi clock send and such, but honestly offsetting the lag or delay of those informations is just another tacky way of doing by ear.

For Example i synced up two Traktors very easily by beatmatching tick for both Master Clocks set to same value and then comparing them on physical external mixer. In Traktor Master clock field you have few basic options how to work with it. go see manual.

But i have no experience with Torq, so basicaly it would need Master Clock function as well, can't imagine permanent sync of two DJ programms without it.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Dude,
    Do it by ear. Just look at the bpm yur buddy's spinning, match it & bend.

Analog is so much easier than the machine sometimes....
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

^^ For real, both programs will tell you BPM and I'm assuming you both have pitch faders? It doesn't get much easier than that

tap tap tap

If you can't do it by ear you probably shouldn't be doing it.

If you're new to this, then practice, practice, practice, tap, tap, tap.

Practice makes perfect!

Good luck!

Tech Convert

You'd think it would be easy to just do it by ear BUT when your playing at the parties we play at (distorted PAs, tons of drunk people screaming, etc) it's just little hard to hear things perfect.

I'm not looking for the "just do it" solution. I'm looking for the "download this program and press this button" solution.

Basically, there isn't a one stop button to press to make things perfect between two completely different programs that aren't really friendly with each other.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by dillwanner View Post
    You'd think it would be easy to just do it by ear BUT when your playing at the parties we play at (distorted PAs, tons of drunk people screaming, etc) it's just little hard to hear things perfect.

I'm not looking for the "just do it" solution. I'm looking for the "download this program and press this button" solution.
    it can be done software route but as i said, nudging the perfection is even more harder than doing it by ear.

for syncing two master clocks you do not need to play it on soundsystem, everything is done via external mix (all you need is just headphones... good ones though)
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast