Gradual tempo change between genres (traktor)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Gradual tempo change between genres (traktor)

I am using a nanokontrol & say if I am mixing a 170.bpm track into a 100.bpm track, I want to do that whole gradual speeding up thing with both tracks in the mix instead of craftily switching from one tune to another. What is the best way of going about this?

I use timecode so I am guessing it's going to be to switch everything to internal clock mode, have a dial or fader set to master tempo, gradually raise the tempo then switch back to auto or manual deck master mode?

The thing is I am trying to figure out a way of visually knowing what state the master clock is in. Due to it being a choice of displaying either the master clock/tempo, or FX panel 1 how would one set up an LED status to tell what mode the master clock is in if the FX panel is on display? As far as I can see you can only scroll through the master clock status with a controller (and there are 4 options to choose from), not have a button dedicated to internal or manual. Therefore if I am on the FX pane and in the heat of the moment (probably after a beer or 2) I could possibly forget how many times I hit the button in order to return to manual mode, or I the button might not register me pushing it, or as it's something I won't do too often I might forget how many times I am supposed to push the button etc.

Another thing I have just thought of is is there a way of syncing the master clock momentarily to the master deck so that I don't sync the master deck to a tempo massively out of time potentially fucking everything up?

Sorry for long post.

Thanks

Uh, why don't you hit x2 on the grid of the 100 BPM track and then raise the tempo of the 170 BPM track (which should set the master tempo automatically if it's the track you're mixing out of) gradually until you're close to 200 BPM? Pretty simple.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

an extra 30bpm on your 170 track (i am assuming that would be dnb) would end up sounding like crap

Id sooner use the delay trick to go from 100 to 170

Tech Guru

Going to 85-90 would be a lot easier than jumping to 100 I'd say.

I have my decks set to slave and use Traktors master tempo for everything. I then have a knob assigned to the tempo and increase and decrease it throughout the set whenever I need to speed things up or slow it down... works very well. The end result is that I can easily beatmix techhouse into techstep/neurofunk dnb which has long been a dream of mine (lol)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cielomobile View Post
    Uh, why don't you hit x2 on the grid of the 100 BPM track and then raise the tempo of the 170 BPM track (which should set the master tempo automatically if it's the track you're mixing out of) gradually until you're close to 200 BPM? Pretty simple.
    No that won't work will it cos if I hit the x2 button, making the 100 bpm track a 200 bpm track, when I sync a 170 bpm track to it, it will be sync'd to 200 bpm. I want to sync a 170 bpm track to a 100 bpm track, bring it into the mix while I speed the whole lot up to 170 bpm while at the same time fading out the 100 bpm track. Basically so it is a seamless mix between the tracks yet the tempo raises so that I can carry on running things at 170 bpm from then on. Get me?

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    an extra 30bpm on your 170 track (i am assuming that would be dnb) would end up sounding like crap

Id sooner use the delay trick to go from 100 to 170
    Precisely, it would sound crap. Can you elaborate on this mystical delay trick you speak of please.

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    I have my decks set to slave and use Traktors master tempo for everything. I then have a knob assigned to the tempo and increase and decrease it throughout the set whenever I need to speed things up or slow it down... works very well. The end result is that I can easily beatmix techhouse into techstep/neurofunk dnb which has long been a dream of mine (lol)
    This is kind of on the lines I am talking about. Only thing is I don't like to have a master tempo as I prefer the freedom of changing the tempo with the pitch shift on the decks. I do sets with genres that vary massively in bpm and say I am playing house but want to switch to DnB, I can do something like turn the power off on the deck, making he house track slow down to a stop, then scratch in the first beat of a DnB track and sync further DnB tracks to that track.
    If I have a master tempo I'd constantly have to stay on top of what tempo it's at. I'd have to ensure that at the start of every set I have the master tempo set correctly (and I could start with anything). The only time I want to have to deal with a master tempo is when doing what I am talking about with the speeding up of one genre into a widely different genre (house to DnB for example). It just seems lengthy to have to sort out my master tempo with a dial, hit a button 3 time (going from auto deck mode to internal), sync both decks to the master tempo, turn the tempo up to 170, go back into timecode mode, hit the button 3 time again (to go back to auto mode)... You know what I mean?

It'd be nice if there was a button I could hit once to switch to internal mode and it would make the master tempo match the master deck and make both decks sync to the master clock... all just with one button, then hit it again to go back to timecode after I have raised the tempo.

PHEW... sorry again for long post

Any attempt to 'sync' a track at 100 and another at 170 will just sound terribad. You have to use another technique other than beatmatch.

Filters and effects are your friend here.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    Any attempt to 'sync' a track at 100 and another at 170 will just sound terribad.
    What are you chattin about? You telling me you've never heard that done before? If I can be arsed I'll record the technique later & post it up for you to hear. I just want to find the best way to do it.

If you key it (so the pitch doesn't change with the tempo) and meet in the middle (185 BPM) it'll sound fine. 15 BPM is not THAT huge of a difference when it's that fast of a tempo. If you want to mix the 170 BPM track into the 100 BPM, you can still hit x2 on the 100 BPM; in that case you just need to bring the 100 (or 200 now) BPM track until it's halfway or so. Easy as pie!
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cielomobile View Post
    If you key it (so the pitch doesn't change with the tempo) and meet in the middle (185 BPM) it'll sound fine. 15 BPM is not THAT huge of a difference when it's that fast of a tempo. If you want to mix the 170 BPM track into the 100 BPM, you can still hit x2 on the 100 BPM; in that case you just need to bring the 100 (or 200 now) BPM track until it's halfway or so. Easy as pie!
    No, mate I think you're missing the point. I mix completely different tempos all the way though my set. I used 100 bpm & 170 bpm as an example. It's not always going to be a 100 & 170 bpm transition. I might go from 140 to 170, so by what you're saying if I hit the x2 button I'd be trying to mix 170 into 280!? I might go from 90 bpm to 130, so I'd be trying to mix 130 into 180. Do you see what I am saying? It won't work. Plus I want to do the whole speeding up thing. So say I am running a house track (about 130 bpm) I might want to bring in say a DnB loop mixing in time with the 130 bpm house track, and then raise the tempo of both the tracks until they reach around 170 bpm, but fade out the house track before the DnB drops.

Get it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast