Mixing Techniques
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Mixing Techniques

Following on from this recent post about Mixing techniques, I thought it might be a good idea to get some members input. Here's my two cents, please add your own here also:

With most house and techno, advanced mixing means blending the two tracks together over a period of time to make one track naturally progress between each other while sounding good. The music needs a natural progression – I try to make my mixes last 30 seconds at the very least, but usually 1 minute, and maybe 2 if they blend well. “Layering” your tracks is what is important.

For example, I often like to bring the new track in so its like a new part of the song, keeping the bass low but letting the treble and mid slowly come in to eventually dominate the mix. Ideally you want the two tracks to be able to play at the same time and still sound great. Fine tuning of EQ’s can help this. Then you can gently play with the mid and treble to have the new track dominating the mix. I also like to cut the base from the first track and then bring in the base from the new track in succession which changes the rhythm. I usually take the fader from the first track down a bit at this stage and then gently fade it out.

Usually bringing in a new track is the easy part, its getting the old track out while still sounding good, without it sounding like its ‘hanging around’ is the hard part

Tech Guru

hrm... well, depending on the style I'm mixing, I usually lay out my tracks with 32-48 bars of breathing room. Most if not all of my mixing now a days seems to be done with the eq knobs, filters, and up faders. Xfader chills in the middle usually....

On non harmonic mixes, the bass is usually the only thing I make a quick change with (flip kicks over), and then I usually eq out/in mids and highs.

Harmonic mixing is def a lot more drawn out.

Geez discussing mixing techniques is like debating the exact length of a piece of string lol. Nice insights
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

hahahaha, yeah it is.... Just wait till we get a metric vs Customary argument going on.

but I mean... its still nice to talke about. I know I've changed my style a lot over the last 6 months. used to be a crossfader only type of guy hahaha.

Would be cool to see some short vids on this actually. Bit easier to grasp in a visual way.

My basic technique: Wait till 3 minutes is left on a track, take a big scull, adjust my special mixing hat, and cross my fingers
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

hahaha. oh yeah man, I hear ya. I usually just wait till that blinky light in traktor comes on. Then my brain yells at me "If the dj has not queued the next track, he or she is fucked"

Quote Originally Posted by colly View Post
    Following on from this recent post about Mixing techniques, I thought it might be a good idea to get some members input. Here's my two cents, please add your own here also:

With most house and techno, advanced mixing means blending the two tracks together over a period of time to make one track naturally progress between each other while sounding good. The music needs a natural progression – I try to make my mixes last 30 seconds at the very least, but usually 1 minute, and maybe 2 if they blend well. “Layering” your tracks is what is important.

For example, I often like to bring the new track in so its like a new part of the song, keeping the bass low but letting the treble and mid slowly come in to eventually dominate the mix. Ideally you want the two tracks to be able to play at the same time and still sound great. Fine tuning of EQ’s can help this. Then you can gently play with the mid and treble to have the new track dominating the mix. I also like to cut the base from the first track and then bring in the base from the new track in succession which changes the rhythm. I usually take the fader from the first track down a bit at this stage and then gently fade it out.

Usually bringing in a new track is the easy part, its getting the old track out while still sounding good, without it sounding like its ‘hanging around’ is the hard part
    Layering is KEY!!!!

When I layer....the incoming track in there for me to do FX on.

Then once i have cut my bass over and made the incoming dominant....the outgoing track is there for my FX and stuff.

Thats how i keep it interesting...yet conserving the natural progression.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

I like that idea. thats how I usually do it as well for all types of four to the floor tracks. Breaks are a tad different, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    hahaha. oh yeah man, I hear ya. I usually just wait till that blinky light in traktor comes on. Then my brain yells at me "If the dj has not queued the next track, he or she is fucked"
    As soon as my transition is done, i load the next track. Get it ready and shit.

I usually start the new track when I have 1:10mins left.....mix till the track ends or i manually pull it out.

If i start it there.....i get the massive build up breakdown.

If i start it later.....i get a chilled mix.

If i am mashing....i start it earlier.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

If you want a good example of REALLY different mixing styles, check out the psytrain once Dvls has uploaded it, fuck yeah.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast