New MacBook Pro refresh announced (link) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Is USB 3.0 such an issue coming from a DJ's perspective? Correct me if I am wrong but I am fairly sure that the vast majority of DJ controllers/MIDI controllers are all USB 2.0, and will probably stay that way for some time yet, maybe 3.0 will end up like Blu-ray disks as their was massive hype about them but I still watch movies on DVD's...

and lets not get ahead of our selves, you don't need the latest MBP to run Traktor, I have never had a problem using my white unibody macbook which has a fairly low spec as far as macs go.

pretty much, if it aint broke don't try and fix it... (although this is apple, so in a months time MBP's will be updated and cost even more)

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Light Peak
    yeah i'd give a big finger to usb if light peak became a standard. 10gbps you say, and bi-directional transfer? yes please.

probably could of thought of a better name, at least something that doesn't so closely resemble Light Pipe.

oh yeah, and for anyone who's thinking of burning a lot of money...i mean, buying an ipad, there's *already* talk of a newer version with better specs, and probably a better price. if there's anything i can give apple credit for besides their innovation, it's their marketing strategy.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

Bit gutted on this why not i5/ i7 in the 13" machines

LOL I cant afford one atm so I have to stick with my old white macbook ( even though I have just messed up the hinge )

I like the 13" size its actually perfect nice small and compact give it 6 months and I spose they will upgrade them to

I will start saving lol

Tech Guru

The new 13 inch is so much like mine I don't even mind that I bought mine in january
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Convert

When i saw the title of this thread i immediatley checked the apple site and 'd because i had been waiting for so long for a refresh, but i finally broke down and got a 13 inch mbp on friday. So i just got off the phone with the apple store i purchased it from and i have 14 days from purchase to bring it in for full credit and swap out for the refresh.

This was a pleasant surprise, as i was expecting "sorry bro! bad timing"

god damn, so overpriced!

Tech Guru

As a computer tech and programmer by trade, yeah the USB 3.0 would be a more than welcome adjustment considering the price I'm already paying for the new MBP to begin with lol. But hey, it's always been the bane of any Apple argument in comparison to a PC: "look what I can get for the same price of this!"

I'm sure eventually USB 3.0 sound cards and other peripherals will begin to flood the market, and when that time comes, I'd like to be able to use them without having to buy yet another MBP revision. My logic is look how long USB 2.0 has been the staple of device connectivity.

Sure, bigger processors come into play and big advancements constantly make your bleeding edge purchase obsolete (usually by amounts so negligible performance wise, you'd have to be anal to buy it). Frankly, I could care less about that crazy new processor, I want the improvements to go where I use them the most (at least on a music production level): device usage.

The most valid arguments I see are:

1.) Apple holding out to make this the next "big reason" to buy the newer models coming in another 200 or so days.

2.) Lack of standardization.

Personally, I'll accept both as an answer lol.

Either which way, while I'm more than aware Traktor runs fine on anything less than a MBP, I also fall into the category of people who use their machines for things other than DJ and production work. Fair amounts of virtual machine work, misc encoding/decoding media files, compression tasks, and transfering files to locally connected drives, and an assload of external devices to boot. Plenty of other stuff as well, that's just off the top of my head.

Also, if anyone is wondering why I cater USB 3.0 more than Lightpeak - backwards compatibility is my reason. I'm fairly sure I won't be able to plug in my USB 2.0 devices into a Lightpeak port lol.

Oh well, I'm gonna go with the 13" model with a SSD. I loved my 15" MBP unibody, but it was a bit too cumbersome for me to carry around.

Anyone who doesn't agree that Apple is a rip-off is an idiot. Especially when you pay that much for an item of depreciating value. (Remember the POWER PC Apple Lovers ???). Just admit that you like paying $1800 to look cool and feel cool and I'll accept it. Meanwhile I'll be tearing it up on my $500 Toshiba with 4 USB ports and have enough money leftover for a VCI-100 SE and a round-trip to Chicago. That's cool !

lol, i wonder what the replies will be to that on this applecentric site
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Guru

I'll grab the pop corn and 3D glasses lol.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast