Ableton users can you explain your workflow
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Ableton users can you explain your workflow

I've been wanting to get into more complicated mash ups and sets but this only seems possible with Ableton, which to me has a big learning curve. Can someone explain to me their preparation of tracks in Ableton. Obviously with Traktor it would be load, analyze, set beat grid and your off and running. Ableton seems a bit more complex.

Tech Mentor

http://darrencowley.blogspot.com/200...preparing.html

Is how i do things, these days anyway.....

Cheers
    D

See the only problem I have with using Ableton instead of Traktor is cue points. You have to prepare your set with Ableton because you can't just think "Oh let's play that track" and drag and drop it in. You can but it will obviously be one track instead of the track you have split.

I'm just a bedroom DJ though so I just put whatever I think I want on. I guess I will use Traktor to make a set, then make it again in Ableton but using it to tighten up my mix and effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    You have to prepare your set with Ableton because you can't just think "Oh let's play that track" and drag and drop it in. You can but it will obviously be one track instead of the track you have split.
    I setup my decks (typically 4) then have all the traks i may want to use layed out on individual tracks on the session view, i group these by genre so i only need to expand what im looking for (to save screen space and improve workflow). I then use bomes to send a string of shortcut keys which copy all the clips from that song and paste them into the desired deck. So i have the track i wanted with all my "hotcues" in place ready to play with.
    Live 8 / X-session Pro / KP3 / SCS.3D / Launch Pad / Pacemaker

And a large pile of custom diy midi controllers

Tech Guru

So do you guys have traktor and ableton synced through midi clock? I'm trying to accomplish this but when I set ableton to externally detect midi clock, abletons tracks won't play but the clock does sync.

Tech Mentor

I've taken to using deckadance as a vst in live, you can play mp3's through the plugin without having to convert them so you can have your custom complex stuff setup in live and then freely add any track you want into your mix the same as tracktor.

click the youtube link in my sig for some examples.

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralExcretion View Post
    I setup my decks (typically 4) then have all the traks i may want to use layed out on individual tracks on the session view, i group these by genre so i only need to expand what im looking for (to save screen space and improve workflow). I then use bomes to send a string of shortcut keys which copy all the clips from that song and paste them into the desired deck. So i have the track i wanted with all my "hotcues" in place ready to play with.
    i didnt know this till recently but you can make a channel for a song and all of its clips acting as your "hot cues" and then using abletons browser drag the channel as an object into a folder. if you drag it back into ableton all settings are retained, even its output channel. is that what youre refering to? if so mind sharing those shortcut keys? heh thats the one thing i dont like about ableton there is no ability to browse files with a knob/load with assigned keys....

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    is that what youre refering to? if so mind sharing those shortcut keys?
    Hmm.. thats not actually how i do it, though is deserves further investigation. It my work better than my current system but do you not get cpu spikes as the new track is added?

I literaly take every song loaded and "split" into clips on a single track then us the clipboard ctrl+c/ctrl+v along with a string of keys (lots of shift+arrows) to ensure the full song is selected and pasted in the correct position. Im affraid my main rig is totaly out of action atm but if i get a change ill try and work out the key combinations for you. Its not to hard if you want to work it out for yourself, took me a few hours to get it working just right, the keyboard shortcuts are pretty logical in ableton even though I have found many of them aren't documented anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
    I've taken to using deckadance as a vst in live
    I like the idea of using deckadance as a track selector but do you get hotcues with this method?
    Live 8 / X-session Pro / KP3 / SCS.3D / Launch Pad / Pacemaker

And a large pile of custom diy midi controllers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralExcretion View Post

I like the idea of using deckadance as a track selector but do you get hotcues with this method?
    yes, 4 per deck and 6 built in fx.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I've been wanting to get into more complicated mash ups and sets but this only seems possible with Ableton
    Says who?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast