How do you organize your library? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

geez u guys..
    i must be the most unorganized guy here...
    my only form of organization is by when i bought it/encoded it/made it etc. sometimes if i'm working on a track, theres a different version in every week's folder for a month....hahaha. thats at home, on the laptop tho its by the season... i really gotta get a maid to clean the thing up. maybe if i played a set list like some dj's i know life wouldn't be as complicated, but then again it wouldn't be as interesting either.

For the most part i Classify my music into genres then by sub genres then artists or albums

However i make custom playlist folders for djing.
    example
    Dj Krilikz Playlist
    - Electronica
    -- Club pop (More club oriented)
    --Vocal Pop (Sweet 16/ Casada type stuff)
    --Harddance (Step up from club pop, Rave/techno like)
    -- House
    - Hiphop
    -- Classic
    --Pop
    --Electronic (mostly mash ups/good cross overs from my electronica collection)

and then i got an oldies, pop and a few other collections. Each genres has about 300 songs that i update with time.

rather than organising my music to suit my brain, i organise my brain to suit the chaos that is my music folder. mostly just involves, remembering when i got a track ( i find that when i get a track i like i will listen to it a lot, and thus remember events around that time and have kind of a representative timeline of tunes) and using the 'date added' selection thingy in itunes. But then im pretty wierd.
    i guess wat im trying to say is that everyone is going to need a different way of doing it that suits them
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

I have about 10k worth of songs loaded into traktor, what works best for me is breaking them into genre, then sub folders for sub genres. then when i open the folder i sort them by bpm, slow bpm to fast bpm
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I'm mostly stuck to one genre.. I like my Dnb.. but then I have 13 years worth of vinyl to pick through.. I have been using keywords or just making random playlists with my Mp3's
    I have a really bad knack for organization as well.. I need to get a better system.
    It's so different than just diggin' through the crates.

I have had this dilemma for years and now use the following method as it basically represents the same way my vinyl has been organised for nearly 30 years. I pretty much only play Hip Hop & Funk, so I have 4 500GB network drives in the studio (which I'm gonna chop in for 2 x 1TB network drives soon). The folder structure is MP3 at the top, then about 6 genre folders, then below that it's split int UK/US/Oz/Europe/Rest Of World each with it's own folder named 12s & EPs & LPs, then below that the same named folders but with years from 1978 to 2008.

After I made the mistake about 8 years ago of attaching the biggest drive I had to a machine and forgetting to stop iTunes sort thr library for me, that drive got reorganised by iTunes (Jesus I hate iTunes) so about half the tracks were messed up (my brain works a certain way and that's that!!!)

So, I still have that 300GB drive which is still sorted as iTunes sees fit, only I am going to start pulling everything out the iTunes window into folders that I understand and slowly transfer the lot onto my proper drives over the winter months.
    2 x Technic SL1210 mk2s, MacBook 2ghz/2GB RAM/OS X 10.5.4, iMac Aluminium 2GHZ/2GB/OS X 10.5.4 & Windows XP Pro both running Traktor DJ STudio 3.4 & Traktor Scratch, Logic Pro 8, Reason 4, M Audio MK149cmk2 MIDI keyboard, Audio 8 DJ with data encoded vinyl, 2 TB Mp3s & about 1500 vinyls

when i hear crap like that i don't think i'll ever install itunes.

Carefully installing will work wonders. Always take your time to install, make sure the only options executed are the onces you selected.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    Great question, after 5 years I have tried so many different systems and I think I have one now that works fairly well. Everyone will need to come up with their own work flow but I have a specific system that works well and is simple to use. I can work on an explanation of that next week.
    please do
    deephouse mix click here
    bangin' house mix click here
    VCI-100SE arcade button mod pictures here
    myspace/runehund
    doggydog.net

I try to be careful to enter thorough ID3 tag info (genre, comments, key lyrics, energy level [early, mid, peak, near peak, etc.]) so that I don't have to bother with separate directories. I prefer to search by any number of criteria to basically create playlists & directories on the fly (gimme EARLY | FUNKY TECH HOUSE with GUITAR sounds). It also allows me to have multiple categories assigned to a single track for searchability, instead of having to decide on the one folder I want to move the track into. I don't mind typing a search query during a gig.

Part of the reason is that I have a lousy memory for track titles & artists, and anything I can do to help search out a track is a godsend to me.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast