Newbie needs usb-midi help.

Default Newbie needs usb-midi help.

Hi all, I'm just getting started with digitial music creation and I'm facinated with the endless possibilities for customization. Right now my motto is "cheap and homemade"

To start with, my controller is a $15 usb keyboard merged with a gutted 80's electronic piano. I'm also working on a Jog wheel made from an old turntable and an optical mouse. These controllers will be pretty limited, but for now I would just like to learn some techniques without investing loads of cash.

As of now I have my controller sending out usb signals, but I cant seem to get the hang of converting USB to MIDI and getting programs like ableton and traktor to recognize.

I'm using the free trial of JunXion on my Intel Mac, which is frustrating because I cant save... Is there any freeware program that will let me convert usb-HID to MIDI?

As I said I'm using an Intel mac with OS-10.4.something, Ableton Live 6.something and Traktor 3.

Also, I was trying to think of a HID device that has pots or sliders... something cheap that I could use to make a mixer with faders and knobs..... hmmmmmm

Tech Mentor

sry, cant help with your software related probs.
    as for the hid device that has pots/faders...all the HID-boards i know only support up to 8 pots/faders (stupid windows limitation).
    Stanton SCS3 System

hmm only 8? Do you know if mac OSx has the same limitation?

I think im going to break down and buy Junxion.. doh!

I'm also looking on ebay for a cheap midi device that i can hack up... I really want to get my ghetto-fab 80's keyboard controller up and running tho...

Tech Mentor

You could get a korg nanokontrol for your pots and faders. they're pretty nifty devices.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Mentor

maybe not, i'm not a mac guy, but still all the devices that i know are made to work with windows as well, so they all have this limitation.
    i guess the nanokontrol is your best shot to hack up sth. cheap.
    Stanton SCS3 System

http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie_download

glovepie can turn any control into anything however you want to do it. Give it a try you should be able to find some premade scripts that come with it to help you start.

I have used glovepie to run a wiimote (bluetooth) as a mouse.

also mjoy joystick to midi might be some help for you if your using any windows joystick hid devices (gamepads)

http://www.otk.it/mjoy/ -i think thats the offical site maybe not?
    Last edited by kaleaf; 07-18-2009 at 06:59 PM.