LPD8 has mind of its own sometimes...help?
    Tech Mentor

Default LPD8 has mind of its own sometimes...help?

I recently purchased the LPD8 which I am pretty content with overall. I downloaded the a tsi from this website and got everything imported which is all cool. However I noticed that sometimes the pads and knobs just didn't do what they were mapped to. I figured it had to do with the original mappings so I decided to trash those and make my own.

Everything was going fine until I wanted to add loops (loop in/loop out/loop active) to a program. Let's say I would map "loop in" to be CH3CC6, "loop out" to be CH3CC7, and "loop active" to be CH3CC8, all for deck A. I tested it while loop in was working, loop out didn't register on any pad or knob at all and loop active took loop out's mapping. I fiddled around with it for quite a while, completely removing everything, reverting to the standard tsi and going back again...and so on. Still the same issue.

It all looks mapped a-ok...but why won't it register? This is my first midi-controller so I really don't know if this is a normal thing (I really hope it isn't) that sometimes buttons just don't register.

Any clues here?

edit:

I should probably add that I am using Traktor Pro and Windows.
    Last edited by rt24; 04-18-2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: add info

Make sure to have the deck focus on the right one? I remember when i got my lpd8 and was mapping it i forgot to add what deck i wanted it to control and received no response... ALSO on my windows 7 xp and 7 on an older laptop... it wouldn't recognize the name as "LPD8" like in Mac OS, but "USB Audio Device #" and it would be a random number every time I booted into TSP, so I'd have to change the in and out for that mapping :-( Hope this hope this helped!
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

There are several threads on the forum about issues like this, but my first guess is that you are using the factory settings for the LPD8. It has cases where two controls map to the same cc and so forth. This would explain why cc7 doesn't seem to do anything, and cc8 does what cc7 is supposed to be doing. The LPD8 isn't sending the signals that you think it is. You have to go into the LPD8 editor to fix them.

When you do the mapping in Traktor are you actually using the learn button and pushing/moving the control to map it?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJMutagen View Post
    Make sure to have the deck focus on the right one? I remember when i got my lpd8 and was mapping it i forgot to add what deck i wanted it to control and received no response... ALSO on my windows 7 xp and 7 on an older laptop... it wouldn't recognize the name as "LPD8" like in Mac OS, but "USB Audio Device #" and it would be a random number every time I booted into TSP, so I'd have to change the in and out for that mapping :-( Hope this hope this helped!
    Yep they are all set to the proper Deck so that's not a problem. I do notice that it NEVER comes up as "LPD8"...always USB Audio Device...is that a problem? I have no idea how to change it to LPD8 but would it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    There are several threads on the forum about issues like this, but my first guess is that you are using the factory settings for the LPD8. It has cases where two controls map to the same cc and so forth. This would explain why cc7 doesn't seem to do anything, and cc8 does what cc7 is supposed to be doing. The LPD8 isn't sending the signals that you think it is. You have to go into the LPD8 editor to fix them.

When you do the mapping in Traktor are you actually using the learn button and pushing/moving the control to map it?
    Well I used the search for a good 20 minutes to find this exact question and I couldn't find it so I had to post

The factory settings for the LPD8... ok bear with me for a sec because I'm not very good with the LPD8 editor (there is no half decent manual!)... but does that mean that to remove the factory settings, I would have to "upload" the Presets from the tsi. fiile I put in? I did that originally and still had the issue. The second time I just imported the tsi. file and ignored the presets that came with it, and the preset mappings were already set to the lpd8 which I thought was kind of weird...

Anyway, maybe it has to do with the tsi. file itself? I am not EXACTLY sure what the tsi. file does to be honest, from what I gather is that it sort of sets a pre-mapping for Traktor to understand the LPD8.

There are two mappings we're talking about. The first is the actual LPD8 mapping. This determines what signals the actual controls send. The second is the Traktor mapping contained in the tsi file. This is where you tell the software to respond to those different midi signals.

Here's a video to show you how to use the LPD8 editor to set up your device correctly:

http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/s...ditor_tutorial

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    There are two mappings we're talking about. The first is the actual LPD8 mapping. This determines what signals the actual controls send. The second is the Traktor mapping contained in the tsi file. This is where you tell the software to respond to those different midi signals.

Here's a video to show you how to use the LPD8 editor to set up your device correctly:

http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/s...ditor_tutorial
    Excellent! The CCs in the editor did not match the ones in traktor, that was the problem. I just manually changed them to what I wanted them to be and it works! Thank you so much! What a relief.