Is it just me
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me

Default Is it just me

or have trolls been creeping on to this site?
    (..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)..)

I love dj techtools partly because everybody is cool and help each other out, but if you go on 80% of these forums theres one guy thats got a problem with something and wants to flame you for it... If you aint got something nice to say dont say it!

post your troll experiences or your opinions...:P

This site is TAME compared to my 'other' forum. The OT section will rip noobies a new one daily.

I'm fine with site, minus the damn "New iPhone and Blackberry! Cheap Prices!" posts. I hate those...

DJTT is my second home because of the lack of incessant flaming.

If I have to put up with the occasional iPhone and Blackberry threads in exchange for a respectful community, I'm game
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I dont see any trolling. Theres a few "forthright" members but to be honest some have disappeared (or been banned?) recently.

What i HAVE noticed is a lot of new members and mostly noobs to the Digital DJ scene which is awesome. More new members means both that the scene is growing (we know that) but that this forum is welcoming and doing what its meant to do which is inform and educate everyone about Controllerism and Djing.

The last "Is It Just Me...?" thread was the one i posted when there was a HELL of a lot of bitching going on.
    I think we all burst that bubble and ive been loving DJTTs more and more recently.

Theres always gonna be a contentious or controversial thread now and again but i think we are all good natured enough to deal with it without getting shitty..!

I might be wrong, maybe i just ignore the trolls..? (yeah right!!!)

Tech Mentor

I'm normally scared to start posting on a new forum in case people do just bitch at me for some unknown reason.
    This site though, is full of helpful people who enjoy sharing their knowledge.

We dont really get trolls here like Karlos said, just "forthright" members.

Most of the time though those people will calm down as they get more of an idea of what the community is about, or in the end they just get embarrassed with their behavior when everyone politely puts them into line and don't come back. We have NEVER had to ban someone for bad behavior on these forums.

These forums moderate their selves quite a bit, 99% you guys know whats acceptable, what is not and that helps keep things on track. Sure we have the odd slip up where a thread goes a bit over the top but thats going to happen anywhere on the net.

We take a fairly laid back moderation style of not banning people because this isn't just "our" community, its your community too. I have been to places with overly strict moderation and all it ends up with a bunch of unhappy vets who complain in the background - everything smells like roses to the newbies at first but it doesn't take them long to work out exactly what is up. So in the end you end up with a community with lots of new people, but people wont stick around for as long.

Our forums on the other hand is very much a case of what you see is what you get, in the worst case scenario in a bad thread (which is like once every 9 months, if that) after everyone has had their say and people are just starting to repeat what other people are saying we will close a thread, but not delete it.

The best way to get rid of trolls is just to not feed them, they are like seagulls the more you feed them the more they will come back for more - just ignore them and continue the conversations in a mature way.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-20-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by spazticmidget View Post
    or have trolls been creeping on to this site?
    (..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)..)

I love dj techtools partly because everybody is cool and help each other out, but if you go on 80% of these forums theres one guy thats got a problem with something and wants to flame you for it... If you aint got something nice to say dont say it!
    unquestionably, this thread is a direct attack on myself and perhaps even an indirect attempt to discredit a lengthy constructive criticism and informal analysis of the djtt usb cable, in which i was in almost complete disagreement with two outspoken members of this forum, and for which i had taken the time and effort to type up a 10000 character explanation with multiple references cited for the sake of deliberation and informing the community. if technical explanation, quasi-reductio ad absurdum arguments, and a few rhetorical questions to emphasize a point is considered flaming, i must hesitate to question what's considered a noteworthy contribution to an individual who starts a thread whose sole purpose is to act as a medium for bickering.

i posted my thread because i saw a problem, and followed through by reasonably justifying my position, and if someone else can come up with a better explanation, i invite them to do so granted a comparable or greater rigor of analysis is exemplified. if it makes sense, i will gladly and respectfully yield my previous position.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by slateraptor View Post
    unquestionably, this thread is a direct attack on myself and perhaps even an indirect attempt to discredit a lengthy constructive criticism and informal analysis of the djtt usb cable, in which i was in almost complete disagreement with two outspoken members of this forum, and for which i had taken the time and effort to type up a 10000 character explanation with multiple references cited for the sake of deliberation and informing the community. if technical explanation, quasi-reductio ad absurdum arguments, and a few rhetorical questions to emphasize a point is considered flaming, i must hesitate to question what's considered a noteworthy contribution to an individual who starts a thread whose sole purpose is to act as a medium for bickering.

i posted my thread because i saw a problem, and followed through by reasonably justifying my position, and if someone else can come up with a better explanation, i invite them to do so granted a comparable or greater rigor of analysis is exemplified. if it makes sense, i will gladly and respectfully yield my previous position.

tl;dr
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slateraptor View Post

Really...? I dont see the link.
    Didnt read the post on USB Cables but whether it was contentious or not it was certainly in depth and not what id call a troll post.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    These forums moderate their selves quite a bit,
    Spot on mate. The fact the forum does moderate itself is a testament to how the Mods have set the right tone though and that spreads through the user base. I know how hard it is and thats why i always tip my hat to the Mods on here.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    tl;dr
    naturally, but it really doesn't matter. i've written 25 page reports on why my signal analysis measurements were off by a mere 5% from the theoretical, so this wasn't bad at all. i'd wager to say that 99% of the people that stumble upon the thread won't either. that 1% that i might get through to is all that matter.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast