Getting Started: Traktor
    Tech Student

Default Getting Started: Traktor

Hey all,

Been a long-time reader/viewer on the site, but have only recently joined the forums.

I'm a Scratch Live user myself, but I've recently been considering switching over to Traktor. The one thing I'm unsure of is what is needed to get started.

I have a few questions and am hoping to get some clarity on what I would need in terms of equipment to get going.

One thing I'm still unsure of is what the major difference between Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch are. Which one is more suitable to what I would need it for (I play house music)?

Also, I keep reading about sound cards and am wondering which one I would need to get started. I'm running on a MacBook Pro (13") and thought I could just plug into my system's sound card. Do I need something specific?

I'm sure these questions have obvious answers, unfortunately, forum searches haven't turned up the exact ones I'm looking for.

Thanks,
    -f

Tech Mentor

I would sell Serato, then buy Traktor Scratch Pro.

The main difference will be shown once you start mixing with Traktor. Btw the Audio 8 is leaps and bounds ahead of the serato box as far as audio qual.

Let me put it this way, take everything you have read about Traktor and throw it out the window. Start fresh, and learn the program how you want to learn it.
    Last edited by TABS; 04-20-2010 at 11:12 PM.

The big difference between Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro or Traktor Duo, is that you can use time-coded CD's/Vinyl on Scratch/Duo, and you cannot with just Pro. So if you are using a MIDI controller, Pro is fine. But if you are using vinyl or CDJ's without MIDI capabilities, you'd want Scratch Pro or Duo.

For Traktor Scratch Pro (or Duo I believe) you need a Traktor approved sound card / audio interface. There are a few of them out there, and they list them on the company website. It's basically the bit that can translate between the time-coded vinyl and the computer, much like the SSL Rane box.

With Traktor Pro you can use pretty much anything (I could be wrong on this). The most common ones used are the Native Instruments Audio 2, 4, or 8 DJ sound cards. Being as NI makes Traktor, they are naturally a great choice since they are made by the same company.

What reason would you be switching over to Traktor for?
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Keep ur serato just in case you goto a gig and you can't setup traktor. In regards of what traktor to get, I would say get traktor scratch pro (4 decks) or traktor scratch duo (2 decks). You have to get a sound card that works with timecode from NI. I would look at the audio4 & audio8 packages
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

i started on vinyls a long long time ago, switched to cdjs, and then switched to serato, quite recently i switched to Traktor Scratch Duo (with audio4) and so far been pretty happy with it - the only thing bout serato that i missed is the overlapping waveforms - you dont really need to beatgrid anything, just analyze, leave overnight, voila, ready to play - system requirements also a lot lower on serato, Traktor is better but is more demanding on the cpu

Traktor skratch duo is awesome if you only use 2 decks - they have just enough fx and filters (for those who dont really like drowning quality production with excessive effects) The soundcard that comes with it (audio4) is small yet packs a massive punch, plus it takes a beating (u can pretty much throw them around and they still work)

I havent sold my SL1 unit just in case serato turns really really good ( i must admit 2.0 looks really sweet, plus when the bridge is out it will be really neat!)
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50