Korg padKontrol/Midi Fighter - tsi/scene set
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Korg padKontrol/Midi Fighter - tsi/scene set

I'm not sure if something like this exists already on the forum, but I'll post this anyway in the hopes that somebody might find it useful. Good news for those of us who own a padKontrol and would like the functionality of a midi fighter.

You can modify the note values of your padkontrol with the padKontrol editor librarian software, which is available on the korg website.

Just change each note value accordingly..

C3 C#3 D3 D#3
    G#2 A2 A#2 B2
    E2 F2 F#2 G2
    C2 C#2 D2 D#2

With the editor librarian, you can still keep any other preset note values you currently have for other software on your computer. Just add these values to another scene set within the program. You can have up to 16 scene sets total.

Make sure that each of these note values are on midi channel 3. The reason for this is that you can import the actual midi fighter tsi into traktor for the padkontrol. The original tsi file for the midi fighter uses the above note values all on midi channel 3. (I found out the hard way!)

So now, you have to import the latest midi fighter tsi into traktor, available at none other that DJTT. After the import, change your In-Port and Out-Ports to padKontrol 1 MIDI IN, and padKontrol 1 MIDI OUT respectively.

If you have done everything correctly, your padKontrol should function just as a midi fighter would. You can also modify the tsi to incorporate the kaoss pads X Y feature, as well as the two upper knobs, and a foot switch.

I have attached my editor librarian scene set for this mapping in this post. I am also working on a tutorial on how to change FX presets 1 thru 4 on a VCI 100 SE to whatever effects chain you would like.

i did everything you said but it didnt work for me at all, all it did was alter the mapping on my omni control....when i tap a pad i see a light coming on in tractor in the midi icon at the top of the screen but nothing is triggered...im doing something wrong but im damned if i know what...

just had to upgrade traktor and now im well away...simple really

Tech Mentor

Your Omni Control? It shouldn't have modified any other controllers if you've carefully followed the directions. Either way, I am glad you found this helpful and that you now have it working now!

really cool, will have to try this out!!! was wondering how i was going to get MF / Maschine functionality in Traktor with that PK gathering dust on my shelf!!! still want a MF tho!!!

Tech Convert

I've loaded it ok but having a couple problems;

The "echo" button doesnt map to the fx like the mash and filter buttons do
    The record button doesnt seem to do anything
    Cant push 2 fx and change settings (top row) at the same time without pausing/syncing

I've used your padkontrol template, the 1.1 midifighter tsi and traktor 1.24
    any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks

Tech Mentor

I changed all of the FX on the padFighter right off the bat so I'm not sure. What is it that you are trying to do? Maybe I can help help you out..

Are you just trying to get full MF functionality out of the pF? Or would you like to customize those buttons that aren't working currently, to do something else ?

Tech Convert

I'd just like to get the MF functionality for now as I'm new to traktor mapping and finding things a bit complicated

thanks

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by padda View Post
    I've loaded it ok but having a couple problems;

The "echo" button doesnt map to the fx like the mash and filter buttons do
    The record button doesnt seem to do anything
    Cant push 2 fx and change settings (top row) at the same time without pausing/syncing

I've used your padkontrol template, the 1.1 midifighter tsi and traktor 1.24
    any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks
    I was having the same problems with the echo and record not working. Found out it was because I only had effects units 1 & 2 active in my settings panel. Turning on all 4 effects banks got it working properly. You can do this under Effects in the settings panel.

There was one other issue I noticed after that. Instead of activating a delay effect when you hit the echo button, it triggered a flanger instead. It was quick to hop into the mapping and switch it over to a Delay. Head into the controller manager in the Settings panel, and select the midi_fighter mapping from the dropdown list at the top. Then scroll down through all the mappings until you see one for Ch03.Note.B2. Select it, then scroll down till you see a two groups of entries that are highlighted in orange (when you selected the first Ch03.Note.B2 entry, it also selected all other entries mapped to the same note). Click on the Effect Select entry to bring it up, and at the bottom of the window change Flanger Flux to Delay.

Now, I am still having the third issue you mentioned, and cannot figure out how to get past it. Watching Ean's tutorial, I should be able to activate the masher and filter together and the modulate their setting by hitting a third button from the top row. This works fine if I'm activating the masher or filter by themselves and then hit a top row button (two buttons pressed at once), but if I press both masher and filter pads together and then try to hit a third pad from the top row, it ends up performing that pads original function (pause, play, sync, etc). Is this a limitation of my unit (AKAI MPD24) or is something setup wrong?
    Last edited by bastimret; 07-24-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Tech Convert

Ok, I found out what's going on. Watching the modifier vaules at the top of the controller mapping screen, I can see that when I press the note A2 pad, it triggers the beatmasher effect and also sets the M1 value = 1. Same thing happens when I press the A#2 pad, turns on the filter and sets M1 value = 1. The thing to note here is that for the upper row of buttons to act as effects level modulators instead of play/pause/sync, M1 must = 1.

So the issue is that once one of the effects buttons is pressed and held (A2 or A#2), the moment you press the other one, the M1 value is set back to 0. The entry that's causing it to happen is the Global one that when M1 = 1 and you press the A#2 (or A2) pad, it uses Type = Button/Interact=Dec/Invert. Since M1 = 1 when the first button is pressed, when you press the second one, this line is causing M1 to = 0. When I clear out the button mapping for that entry, then I can press both buttons and M1 stays = 1.

Only problem is that it then stays = 1. I haven't found a way yet to trigger the M1 = 1 upon either pad (A2 or A#2) press, go back to 0 upon letting go of the pad, but stay = 1 if the second pad is pressed at the same time (and stay = 1 when the second pad is released). Anyone got any ideas?

Ok, reading back through that it sounds kinda conufusing. Here's a breakdown:

What it should do: Press and hold note A2, set M1=1. Press A#2, M1 stays=1. Release A#2, M1=1. Release A2, set M1=0.

What it does currently: Press and hold note A2, set M1=1. Press A#2, sets M1=0. This prevents me from pressing both buttons and then modulating the efx amounts with the upper row of pads.

I don't understand how Ean was able to trigger both efx buttons in his demo video and then use the upper row of buttons with the way the 1.1 mapping is setup.
    Last edited by bastimret; 07-25-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast