15 or 17" MacBook Pro For Traktor ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default 15 or 17" MacBook Pro For Traktor ?

Hi all!
    For Djing with Traktor Pro which size would you recommend?
    Been advised to go for 15". Is it large enough?

15" could be advised with regards to mobility. You still need to drag it all in your bags.
    (I have seen people perform flawlessly on 13" macs and not complain about reading from the screen)

Ofcourse, if you don't mind dragging it all and more importantly can afford it, go for the 17"!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I got a 17" full high definition screen and love it

You really don't need that much screen real-estate if you are just running Traktor though.
    I use it all up with Traktor + Ableton open at the same time though.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 10-24-2008 at 03:17 PM.

15" is good 17" MBP is a aircraft carrier! IMO the 13" black MB is the way to go. Spec's these day are almost a mirror image of each other (13" & 15") and you'll save about 1k USD.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

I was advised to go for a 15" in regards to playing out in small Dj booths.
    Maybe 15" is best.

Its also common to see 2x hard drives in a laptop enclosure that fits a 17" screen which is pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by kenty View Post
    I was advised to go for a 15" in regards to playing out in small Dj booths.
    Maybe 15" is best.
    Not just that.... if you use a stand the bigger laptops seem to be a bit more unstable perched up there over your mixer.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Quote Originally Posted by mycole View Post
    Not just that.... if you use a stand the bigger laptops seem to be a bit more unstable perched up there over your mixer.
    Absolutely TRUE!
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Its also common to see 2x hard drives in a laptop enclosure that fits a 17" screen which is pretty handy.
    Best argument for me!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I started off using Traktor with the Eee PC 701. The Celeron M processor and my NI Audio Kontrol 1 worked quite well with Traktor 3. The only problem was that I had to strain the eyes when I scrolled through the tracks on the 7" screen. I then bought the Eee PC 1000h. The 10" screen was a huge improvement and I had no problems seeing the tracks on Traktor but mind you I'm just a bedroom DJ.

I purchased a macbook today and the 13" is waaay better. Coming from using netbooks, the 15" and 17" MBP seems too big for me to lug around. The 13" macbook is perfectly fine for what I need.

But if money wasn't a problem for me, I think I'd give the MBP a try. The firewire800, extra usb connector, express port card slot and dedicated graphics would come in handy if I were to expand my rig. Maybe when I start gigging, add extra gear to my setup and add video into my sets, I'll consider the bigger laptops. Until then a 13" macbook works really well and gets a plus in my books for the extra portability.

So kenty, to answer your question your question it depends on what you need and what you want. If you use a firewire/usb audio interface with a dj controller and the screen size won't bother you, I'd say go with just that. It's also a lot cheaper as well. If you want to connect say a firewire audio interface with a firewire hard drive enclosure with a vci-100 and another controller, or want to use video in your sets, go MBP (the older MBP has two firewire ports but the newer one has only one). Although now with the new macbooks that are out, mixing video can be done on 13" macbook as well.

It all depends what your needs/wants are. Do you have a simple setup and want a little bit more portability and spend less? Or do you want to have a behemoth of a rig with a bigger screen, slightly better specs and is willing to spend extra? I think that's what your purchase should depend on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast