APC40 + Launchpad users!! How are you doing with your LEDS?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default APC40 + Launchpad users!! How are you doing with your LEDS?

Hey guys and girls, just a little research here. I'm curious about who has sorted out their LED mapping issues, what your solution was, and who is still having trouble. Specifically, the "keeping led lit after release" issue. I know there have been midi overload issues for some PC users, and I'd love to know how (and if) you worked it out.

1) Mac or PC?
    2) Are you sorted?
    3) What was your solution?
    4) Led Rings? (for apc)

I'm on Mac, my APC is an everchanging kaleidoscope of colors, and to sort everything out I needed to use a combination of outputs mapped in Traktor, the "send monitor state" IN command, and Bomes MT. LEDs that are always on regardless of pressing are handled by a Traktor modifier OUT. My led rings have their style updated by the CC+8 command from Bomes (speak up if you don't know what that is, it's super handy), and their values get dynamically updated by Traktor.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Convert

I'm in the "MIDI overload boat" when it comes to messages sent out to the LEDs on my APC40. It sucks, actually. I'm on a PC, and so far my solution is to just not use LED messages.

I haven't ever used Bomes, though, nor have I had any real use for the LED rings as I have an X-Session that handles the heavy lifting and I use the APC's faders for effects.

Tech Guru

Wow, first reply to this. I'm really interested to hear if any APC users on PC have found a solution?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Convert

I have been able to get LED feedback for the APC, but it's a pain in the ass and I'm probably going to try out bomes soon. But here is an example of getting Play/Pause to work:

You need to add a midi in Play/Pause note and set it to a specific button using learn.

Then add a midi out that is set to the same button and configure it as follows:
    I forget which one is which, Controller range or midi range, but set the top one to 0 and 1 corresponding to on or off.
    Then set the bottom one to 3 and 1, in that order. This means the led will be red when off and green when on.
    Then check the invert box. This is used by the send monitor update.

Then add a midi in "Send Monitor Update" and set it to the same button. Check invert as well.

Now press the button to see if it works.

You can set all of the buttons up in this fashion, as I have, but it is a HUGE pain in the ass. I have read a little bit about bomes and read that you can customize the messages being sent and received from the APC. For instance instead of sending an on and off message every time a button is pressed (This is what's happening). It can translate one button push into a toggle that will update the LEDs appropriately without having to the Send Monitor Update trick. I will look into this and possible post a walk through with some tsi's regarding this issue, because it sucks to figure this ish out.

-Kodez

Tech Student

I'm having massive issue mapping the new apc20. its fine with out the led's working but as soon as i set them up i get massive lags and sound issue when i press one of the buttons.
    there is also no separate midi mapping for the led's as there is for the apc40 that i can find. so its all going through the same message. i'm guessing this is why i am getting the problems but i'm just getting really confused now.

Tech Convert

@bruistie

Im assuming you are windows with your APC. It is a bug in the Traktor software and is a HUGE buzzkill. The issue only exists on Windows computers and as of now, there is no fix for the bug. There has been a bug report filed, but the more bug reports filed, the more Traktor will look at this issue. So everyone rocking a windows computer take action!

^^On it.
    Though i'm not really having issues with LEDs unless 5 or more send messages at once...otherwise good to go.

Why don't people just set the APC into 'dumb' mode?

Experiment with all of the three "states" of the APC40: "Native" (red box) mode (Turn on APC, Start up Live, select APC as control surface). Non-native mode (don't turn on Live, or don't use APC as control surface in Live). And "Dumb" mode (Get the red box in Live, then quit Live).
    (see http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=117419).

No need for stupid update message from Traktor -> APC (and annoying delays etc), but just using the LED's as normal.

I'm using this for months now and it works perfectly on my Windows machine! So just power on your APC (don't open Traktor), open Ableton Live, when the red box appears in Live as usual, close Live. Then open Traktor and BOOM! Works like charm!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Timmio View Post
    Why don't people just set the APC into 'dumb' mode?
    Yay! Somebody listened to me!
    No, seriously though, this is the kind of experimentation I'm talking about. I like to see solutions. Congrats!

@Timmio: Dude, if you find any way to do this without having to open and quit out of Live, let us know. That would be the way to go.

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Convert

Wow this solved all of my issues immediately. Thanks Timmio!

It did introduce another issue with the LED rings though. Anyone have any advice as to get them working in the "dumb" state?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast