Controller Idea

Thread: Controller Idea

Default Controller Idea

So as I've been playing with Ableton, I've been researching what controllers are out there. I'm trying to figure out which way I want my workflow to go as far as DJing with the program goes. And this leads me to start looking at what controller I may be using down the line. Right now I can't afford anything, but I really enjoy having "goals" as far as gear/software goes.

Lemur, Livid Ohm64, Livid Block, Akai APC40, Akai APC20, Novation Launchpad, Vestax VCM-600, Monome. There are a couple others out there, but these are the ones that are the ones I would look to first.

The Lemur by far would be my top choice, but it's got a serious price tag on it and no "tactile" controls. That being said, I very well may not buy a single thing until it's in my possession because of it's amazing versatility.

I like the APC40, but I do not like that it doesn't have EQ controls. That being said, that's where the VCM-600 comes in, paired with a Launchpad. The other option is the Livid Ohm or Block. Both of which are really interesting, but there is no native support in Ableton for them either.

The Vestax VCM-600 is probably my favorite out of all of the above controls for Ableton (under 1k USD), for the sheer fact that it has EQ controls. The Ohm64 has the ability to map the knobs to be EQ's, but only for 4 channels.

My workflow plan is something like this:

I want 3 EQ's for each column. I want a fader for each column. I would like clip launching abilities for each clip, and to be able to move the clip selection "window" and to have my controller(s) react to it as well. (like the red box to show what is active when an APC40 is hooked up to Ableton).

The big thing is having clip launching capabilities, and also to have faders and EQ's for each section.

And if I can't figure out how to work something else, I may be tempted into the realm of a "Do-it-yourself" solution.

Here's a picture of the controller I've semi-designed:

Basically it's taking the basic layout of the Ohm64, getting rid of the crossfader, adding more scene selection buttons, and adding more pots for EQ's and Effects. I'd use the top 2 rows of pots for effects, and the row directly below that for gain. I'd be mixing with the faders so I would not need a crossfader. It would leave 108 Buttons in the center to mess with, and I'm sure I would not need all of them for clip launching, and so I could assign them to other tasks. (Soloing/Cue, turning on effects, the list goes on)

The only other solutions on the market that I really see would be getting a VCM-600 and a clip launching solution (block, monome, launchpad). The APC series would be overkill with the VCM-600 I think.

I'm still thinking that having a Livid Block and a VCM-600 could be a pretty amazing setup. Especially if I wanted to VJ alongside, because Livid has some serious options for that as well.

The problem is pricepoint. I figure a Lemur is roughly 2000. A VCM-600 is about 900, and the Block is about 400. I have no idea what a DIY solution would cost, but I'm sure it would not be cheap.

... the APC40 would be so nice if it actually had EQ knobs to go along with it. It's really unfortunate that it does not, though it may be a perfect control for some people.

So really, I'm looking at 3 options right now for the future:

Lemur
    VCM-600 + Livid Block
    DIY Solution (which I have no experience in, but it could be a lot of fun/frustration)

The launchpad is a solution that I could use instead of the Block, but I really like how the block interacts with CellDNA and other VJing programs, it's not solely locked to Ableton.

Anyone else want to share their frustrations/concerns when it comes to controllers with Ableton? I've probably spent the better part of today researching different options.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Buy this...

then add this;

Ohm64+X-Session = $675-$750.

I see no reason to re-design an OHM64.
    Last edited by TABS; 04-24-2010 at 12:56 AM.

You know, I own the X-Session Pro. And I had no idea what the X-Session was.

That looks pretty damned nice honestly. I will definitely give that a thought.

I guess all I really need to add to the Ohm64 would be 21-24 Pots for EQ's.

Would you think the Block and a VCM-600 would be a stronger setup however?

Not talking cost here, just honest workflow.

Tech Mentor

The VCM with the block would definitely be the ideal setup. Pretty close to as ideal as you can get without custom building.

There is a guy on vintagesynth selling one for $600 shipped BNIB.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/vi...hp?f=9&t=55467

If I was in the market I would snag that up in a heartbeat.

Yeah the reason I'm quite interested in the Livid product line is the tie in with their VJing software. I mean, it's something simple and really cool. Press a button it not only activates a new audio clip, but activates video as well. Want to apply FX? Well it mimic's in both Audio AND Video. Some serious possibilities there.

I am thinking I'm probably going to pick up a block first, and then down the line get a VCM-600. As much as I like the Ohm, it doesn't have enough controls, and I don't really want to be using the inexpensive quality gear that doesn't have well lit pots. I'm thinking with a serious backpack, I could potentially rock the block and VCM together and everything I could possibly need would be right there.

I really respect DIY kits though, and it would be a lot less expensive. (Compared to my current options). But I also know nothing about this sort of thing, and I'm sure it could be potentially monster to map as well with the end product.

Thanks for chiming in guys

what about launchpad and uc-33?
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Mentor

If you know how to solder (or will learn how to), and have some patience, then DIY is not too bad. You get exactly what you want (hopefully), and you learn something along the way. If you order parts smartly, a DIY solution is almost always cheaper than bought stuff..