DVS: Ms Pinky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVS: Ms Pinky

Default DVS: Ms Pinky

Ms Pinky: Digital Vinyl System
    www.MsPinky.com

It Works Stand-Alone, As A Pluggin & Intergrates With Max/MSP.
    Seems To Only Require Ms Pinky Timecoded Vinyl & No Special Hardware.
    Just Wondering If Anyone Has Used This System?

The Duelist
    Last edited by The Duelist; 04-16-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

not me but ms pinky is clearly one of the oldest, most flexible, and most reasonably priced DVS systems out there. You should give it a try

Tech Wizard

i'm gettint it within the next few weeks. I have been using TSP for a bit...however, I'm not fully taking advantage of the MIDI. I hear Ms. Pinky is crazy stable and responsive. I'll probably try out my old FS2 soudcard to see how that works, I'll try the A8 aswell and let yas know how she works.

damn right its cheap....130 bux for the software and 4 timcode.

Don't let Mudo get wind of this ol' topic.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I bought the Pinky Stuff and just haven't been satisfied with it at all. I will do my best to dedicate time in making it work, but all I end up doing is throwing my hands up and putting Traktor back on.

I have been routing Traktor into Ableton for a while. So I jumped on the Pinky when the Max4Live patch was announced. I just wasn't impressed. THEN a Pinky Patch update was created. Kind of providing a browser for the Pinky M4L patch. Way COOL. But I still just miss the responsiveness of Traktor. The ease of mapping etc... Sure Pinky is "modular," but so far I just get a pale comparison to what I have been using the last 2 years.

This could be part of the reason I struggle with it. It's because I'm so comfortable with Traktor. But nevertheless, I don't think it should be such a struggle. The Threshhold/Sharpness never seem to really dial in as good as I want them too. The volume is wacky and so on.

I will keep it, and mess with it and, who knows, maybe I will come around to it. I do like the feel of the pink vinyl, much better that traktors. My final word on it will be that I got excited thinking I could run my whole set up Natively in Ableton using M4L. I felt like I paid for a cheaper DVS and got one. I have better results routing Traktor to Ableton.

I'm sure someones gonna think thats crazy talk, but thats been my experience.

I've been following the M4L/MsPinky/MSP story for a while. I reckon that in the near future THAT will be the best, most flexible DVS solution. Live 8 with M4L and MsPinky VST WILL be awesome.

MsPinky is AWESOME value for money. ~£50 for the software AND the vinyl?

Good stuff...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

when you factor the cost of a soundcard in, IMO MsPinky isn't a killer deal....in fact i would bet you could get a used sl1 box for that combined price.

I'm not hating on MsPinky, I think with ML4 its got a certain appeal that other dvses don't have at the moment but this appeal isn't for the main stream dvs user as much as the nitch user that is interested in programming their own setup....

DJDecks used to be $30...now that was a killer deal
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    I think with ML4 its got a certain appeal that other dvses don't have at the moment but this appeal isn't for the main stream dvs user as much as the nitch user that is interested in programming their own setup....
    Precisely!

If I had never used Tracktor or Serato, like never ever, I would think Ms Pinky was the BALLS! This make me wonder how many have used it as a cheaper solution and never known what the competition felt like. Just as one wouldn't care how the action was on their cheap guitar until the played a real nice one.

I bought M4L and do a lot of music stuff outside being a DJ. So the appeal to possibly customize Pinky, and do some out of the box stuff is exciting. I would never trust the system to a big DJ gig, unless I just didn't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    when you factor the cost of a soundcard in, IMO MsPinky isn't a killer deal....in fact i would bet you could get a used sl1 box for that combined price.

DJDecks used to be $30...now that was a killer deal
    Mixxx is open source and FREE. That's the real killer deal.

Tech Mentor

Far out. I am going to give it a whirl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast