Kick/Bass sidechain compression

Default Kick/Bass sidechain compression

Can anyone make a recommendation on what kind of compression I should use on my Kick/Bassline sidechain? For example, usually I use a ratio of anywhere from 4:1 to about 5.5:1 for the kick with a fairly slow attack. Is there anything I need to consider when sidechaining it with my bassline?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

you need to play this by ears because it will depend on the overall volumes. obvious the ratio needs to bring the bassline to a place where the kick is clearly heard (or maybe just barely depending on what sound youre going for) attack and release, again, play with it til it creates the room you need/want. if you are going for like a surging then the release should be much higher, but if you are simply trying to slot your frequencies then it can be less.

i'm actually writing an article on compression for djtt, be up soon hopefully

personally i'd use a fast attack on things with transients (impacts), so it catches it and starts compressing from the initial hit. something ~5-10ms

only thing you really need to tweak when sidechaining, especially with a real resonant kick, is that the release is long enough that the bassline stays down for the entire duration of the kick, and pops back up right after it's done, think of it like a smooth crossfade.

hope this helps.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

What DAW are you using?

what hipnotikk (i didnīt forget you bro..just too much stress the last months..) said!

&

U could also try to "duck" the volume of your bass..or U (if possible in your daw) could try to sidechain an EQ e.g. lo-frequ. to make some room for your kick.

so what daw are U usinī?

CoMPACT