What midi I/O usb interface for my own DIY controller??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What midi I/O usb interface for my own DIY controller??

Hello everybody!!

I've searched but I didn't find anything, about this..

I wanted to create my own controller, with 40 Inputs (32 buttons and 8 potentiometers or encoders), and, whenever it's possible, at least 16 Outputs (LEDs).

I was searching for something economic, my budget is under 100$, so the better choice was to use the Universal Joystick Controller BU0836X (~44$ )that Ean suggested in his tutorial, but I've seen that it hasn't digital Outputs (right?)..and not enough inputs too..

The alternative that supports outputs is the Hale UMC 32, but only if i link 2 of them; but in this way the total cost would be of 88+88=176$...too much for me..

Do you know any other possible choice?

I'd use this controller with Traktor pro..

Thanks to everyone!
    Last edited by Gavelly; 04-30-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Change title

Tech Mentor

I don't think you're going to find anything worth getting for less. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

You also have to remember that you'll have to spend even more getting your buttons and knobs and will end up spending more on it than buying something ready made.

I've got a UMC32 and it doesn't currently have encoder support. Hope this, in some small way, helps.

Are you going the DIY route to save money? DIY will not be cheap.

Your best bet might be to find an older Ohm by Livid Instruments (not the Ohm64, as it will be more expensive), it is 30 button but with more pots.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

If you restrict yourself to only 32 inputs then the hale is not too bad i got the umc32 for 86 pounds and 16 arcade buttons for 26 pounds inc.shipping pots cost penny's its fabrication becomes the expensive bit, I have had a knightmare trying to find a cheap plastic or metal fabricators but have not found one up to now Im gonna just build from wood now I think.
    Here's Where I Put My Stuff Remix's/Mix's/and............. Genrally Madness

Sound Cloud :: http://soundcloud.com/herbstrike
    FaceBook :: http://www.facebook.com/pages/HerbSt...2547446?ref=ts

Tech Mentor

midibox is the only cheapish option, then you move onto the Livid Brain for $200.

DIY is cheaper, but still not cheap.

At that list you have $8 in potentiometers, $30-$70 in buttons.

$5 for solder, $5 shrink tubing, $40 for a nice acrylic case. $10 for a wood one.

$8 for wiring.

You are over $100 without even having a controller yet.

your best best is to buy a usb arcade pad, then rip the pcbs out of them.
    Last edited by TABS; 04-30-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Tech Convert

Ok, well, first of all...THANKS to everybody!!!

Then: assumed that with less than 100$ is not possible to build my midi controller, what's the cheapish way to build an I/O system?

Don't think at the enclosure, buttons, pots, leds..Forget them..I already have them.

I mean OVER 32 inputs, also without encoders (pots will do their job very well), but with at least 16 outs (LEDs)..

Who knows??

The cheapest will probably be midibox or arduino
    SC | MC

Cheapest is to get a Teensy or Teensy++ board, use the Midifighter source as a basis and program your own.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html

All the IO and analog ins you need in a teeny tiny package. Requires programming however, but we've done the hard stuff for you and given it away for free. All you need to do is read your inputs, generate MIDI events and set your LEDs.

The main advantage of using a USB-MIDI solution is that the programming device and the final computer device are done through the same cable - no specialized hardware needed. If you can program a little C and used a makefile before, you can do this. It's only $18 or $24 to try it out. If you get stuck ask here for help. If it doesn't satisfy your need for cheap controllerism you're out less than the cost of two DVDs.

Seriously! It's not that hard! The midifighter software is an excellent starting point, it really is as simple to use as it can possibly be.

Tech Convert

Thank a lot Fatlimey!!!!
    I've given a look to teensyduino.. It seems a great idea!!
    Very economic, and useful!!

I've only a question:
    teensyduino ++ 2.0 has "only" 46 I/O (8 of which are analog).. I'd like to have some more I/O...
    Is it possible to link a Teensyduino++ and a "basic" Teensyduino, to gain 12 I/O?
    Or, better, linking 2 Teensyduino++??

PS. I've found Midifighter SW on Sourceforge.. If I'll have troubles in modifying that code, will you help me???:-D I'm sorry but I've had a very little experience in C programming.....!!

If you document your progress on this board for everyone else to share and learn from, I will help you (as much as I can).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast