VCI-100 wobbly crossfader?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default VCI-100 wobbly crossfader?

might anyone have experience with some unkosher behavior of their VCI's crossfader? frequently when i push the crossfader all the way to the right, in traktor, the crossfader jumps to the mid-point and if that weren't bad enough, it often then jumps about the VCI's data send LED blipping for a while (leading me to believe it is a hardware issue not software) - all the while not touching it.

i will try and post a video of the odd behavior tomorrow but wanted to hear if anyone had any thoughts. it only occurs on the right side...

Default video

here is a video of the problem in action:
    http://tinyurl.com/5jdqan

2 simultaneous streams of video, on the left is traktor and the right an overhead view of the VCI-100. under Traktor is a blown up and cropped version of the data send LED that is interesting to keep an eye on.

in watching the quick video, one will be able to see pretty quickly that when the crossfader is moved to the right all the way, it frequently pops back to the center. after moving the fader, data often continues to be sent even without any further manipulation, causing the crossfader to dance around in traktor. perhaps my unit's crossfader is just bad?
    Last edited by jean_pierre; 04-17-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: made the image a link to the movie too

Wow- thats very strange. You should certainly send it right back. Let us know if you have any problems and Dj TT will help with vestax. i have never seen that.

cheers for the response, i was afraid the crossfader was wacked - i'll give vestax and djdeals (whom i purchased it from) a holler and link them off to my movie to see what they say. hopefully this sucker has a proper 1 year warranty, though even that is getting close. i'll post any interesting developments.

Tech Mentor

I had a really similar problem back when I was using a BCD-2000. It just felt like the hardware was getting 'overloaded' or something, and it would read your movements, but very delayed, so the fader would keep moving after you moved it around.

I figure it's a driver issue, at least in that case, who knows if this is the same.

What have you tried so far to resolve the issue, and when did it start happening?

Tech Mentor

I would agree with miyuru it can be a driver issue. I would definitely make sure its not hardware and just follow your common sense when your figuring if its a software issue, I will start with small ideas and move to big ideas.
    Thank Ya!!!

Tech Wizard

This problem appeared when I didn't set the soundcard in and outs right, perhaps you try the deckadance demo and see if you've got the same problem there, if not, you should change your settings in Traktor.

that is very odd. the first vci i got had a loose usb connector. meaning that when i took the usb cable from the computer and plugged it into the vci there was a little bit of play....

what this caused was something similar but with the gain / treble / bass / mids knobs....they would move around without me even moving the knobs and data was being sent when i wasnt doing anything.

try holding the usb plug in tightly and see if that could be a problem...

either way i would reccomend sending it back and getting a new vci

its good you have a video to document.
    Last edited by wgdavis78; 04-18-2008 at 02:35 PM.

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

i don't think this is a driver issue, all other faders/knobs/buttons/dials on the VCI work without incident. a driver would only be responsible for interpreting the data the hardware sends, massaging it into something the computer can more easily deal with. in the case of Mac OS X, the VCI-100 sends MIDI so no driver is required. i'll double check, or move the VCI to another machine and see if the same problem occurs.

good idea on the USB cable recommendation - i'll give that a shot and also fire up MIDI Monitor too to make sure it happens there as well and not just Traktor.

does it do this all the time or just when connected to Traktor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast