Recommendations on turntables
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Recommendations on turntables

I'm planning on buying two turntables for a time coded set up. What would you guys recommend for a reasonably priced pair of turntables?
    Thanks in advance guys

Why? Turntables are cool and all, but they are old technology that really only continue to exist for those who are already use to them. Get yourself some CDJ's or get some midi controllers like an oxygen 8, EKS XP5, EKS Otus, VCI-100, Etc. They are fun to play with, but they're definitely not where the industry is heading...

If you must get turntables I would recommend getting a numark battle pack, it's cheap, comes with a mixer, and it's plenty good to start off with. I have a battle pack and I love it, although I almost never use it (luckily it's just hammy-downs that I got for free).

Tech Mentor

I have a Hercules RMX and an Akai LPD8, I want turntables to run time coded vinyl on for Traktor Scratch Pro

Tech Mentor

numark ttx, stanton str8s , vestax pdx, KAMs

was never a fan of 1200s but to each their own.

for simple timecode use, for example nudging and minor scratching, the numark battle pack 2 with the tt1625īs is fine. But if you want some better players look for numark tt200 or stanton s-80īs. Next in line are numark tt500 or technics 1210/1200, it doesnt get better than those. If you only want spinning platters you can also check out numark v7, or denon hs3700 (i think)
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    Why? Turntables are cool and all, but they are old technology that really only continue to exist for those who are already use to them. Get yourself some CDJ's or get some midi controllers like an oxygen 8, EKS XP5, EKS Otus, VCI-100, Etc. They are fun to play with, but they're definitely not where the industry is heading...

I dunno man. I dont think thats really the right mindset. Think about it. You buy a pair of used tech 1200s for 300-400 and a good 2 channel mixer. combine with traktor and midi capable devices, and you have a serious set of gear, that combines the old, and the new.

30 years from now when you kids go through your old stuff in the attic, would you rather they find a Technic 1200 or a cdj 1000? Vinyl is going to be an acceptable medium FAR longer than the cdj ever will, which makes recommending the cdj just as bad, if not worse than recommending vinyl in your book.

The industry is not heading towards cdjs.

Hmm, additional thoughts. sorry I'm ranting.

People can do amazing things regardless of medium. Hell, Bkag, you could out and buy some shit ancient belt drive Turntables, and if your dedicated, you can still turn heads with it. There were people who did crazy juggling routines with TAPE (cant remember who it was, theres a vid) on reel to reel. It might take more work to do something one way, it might take more money, more time, but hell, if you put the work into it and learn it your way (not by copying someone blindly) you WILL find something new and innovative that no ones ever done before.

That said, its gonna be hard as all get out hahaha.
    Last edited by sine143; 05-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

check out the 'super oem' range of turntables.. here's a couple of threads with reviews, videos and info:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=59743
    http://www.skratchlounge.com/index.php?showtopic=5851

i've got a pair of tech 1200's that are trashed and will probably 'upgrade' to something on these lists when i get some spare $$$.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all the replies
    That was a bunch of help, I'm gunna browse through and see which best suit my needs and price range.

P.s. Sine, I totally agree with you on the vinyl vs. CDJ

Tech Mentor

you can get technics 1200 mk2's without a needle for $200-250 on craigslist no prob
    Check out my EDM blog: http://lacedwithbass.com/

Turntables have made a complete resurgence due to DVS becoming the standard. I'm seeing a lot of clubs moving away from CDJs since most DJs have replaced the large CD book with a laptop and the club owners/management consider the turntable a better visual element. Not to mention, any DJ that has used both usually prefers TTs because the platters are the most sensitive and feel the best. Trust me...it's a standard control that every DJ should be familiar with at some point.

You can get 1200s on craigslist, but you have to be careful. As popular as tech 1200s have been for so long, there are a lot of janky, worn out ones floating around. On top of that, they are notoriously hard to repair. Something as simple as wires, grounding, or even the popup light require a trip to the repair shop.

Any of the high-end turntables from other manufactures are just as good, if not better...Vestax PDX, Numark TTx, etc. Of course they don't have the name and resale value of tech 1200s. That means if you can finds some used they'll be dirt cheap. I've seen used Vestax PDX2000s for $150 in a music store. If you want something brand new and a good value go with Numark TT500...best bang for the buck.

Stay away from the starter kits, battle paks, and cheap belt drives. You'll be limited by the feel, frustrated by the lack of torque, and waste time.
    Last edited by coolout; 05-09-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast