Where are you guys setting your cue points?
    Tech Convert

Default Where are you guys setting your cue points?

So I'm trying to get better at mixing records faster and more aggressively. So I think I need to step up my cue point game. Originally I had just been putting cue points on the downbeat of all the main sections but I think now I should put cue points 4/8/16 bars before where I want to drop the track in.

What are you guys doing?

Welcome to the forums.

Yeah, setting the cue point at the start of a phrase helps to make things sound smoother. One beat before means special attention to your timing!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

It changes for each song, but i stick to a pretty standard formula most of the time. I pick the spot where i want song to drop and be done playing the previous track. Then i go back 8/16 sometimes 32 bars before that, and thats where i set my cue point. I start the mix on the cue point, and mix the two for however long i have set and i can pretty much tell by looking whether it's a 8/16/32. Then when thats up i slam it to the next song. On top of that i'll do this in several spots for each song, at least 2, one before a chorus, and before a verse. If the song has a bridge i really like, i'll put one before that too. This allows me to replace the chorus(or verse, etc.) from deck A with the one coming up on deck B, without having to just slam the mix.

Tech Mentor

depends on the tune.

if there's an ambient intro, #1 (almost always my grid) goes where the drums drop in. I usually keep one or two loops stored for mix in/out points, maybe another grid marker for tunes that drift. if I cue point juggle with the tune, then 1-4 are juggle points. if there's some signifiant point, for example a breakdown, that works well as a mix out point I'll put a marker there. mostly it depends on the tune, but surprisingly I can always remember why I set up a particular tune the way I did.

Tech Mentor

p.s. as far as phrasing goes, go to deck details -> deck heading, and put "beats" and/or" "beats til cue" on the deck heading. Keep an eye on the counters and you'll always know where you are.