How to organise your MP3's (in the words of Ryan Elliott)

Default How to organise your MP3's (in the words of Ryan Elliott)

M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Mentor

good read. It's also a thing im very intrested in as well for some reason. Because I play alot of different genres such as top 40, 80's, rock etc etc. for paid private parties and go seperatly and play progressive and trance for my radio show and in the club there is alot of stuff gets muddled up sometimes wen im trying to find a track right for the time.

I have had many ways of trial and error and am yet t find the perfect way that suits me yet. At the minute im writing the genres in and searching through them but with added bits.

For example if i have a pop song buts its a dance remix or just a dancey pop song with typical 4/4 and mixable i would label the genre 'Pop Dance'. therefore if i search for pop it will come up and dance likewise as it will fit into 2 catergories. It gets a little more complicated when its a tune like a pop remix being genred as 'Pop Dance Mashup' as when you search. It is working to an extent for me but i only recently fixed a maor problem a had by labelling dancey pop songs 'Pop Dance House Mashup' for example and when i was playing a set in the club and was searching for progressive house all these would appear and find it really hard to search through and dig out the tune i wanted. Therefore im now trying to avoid using the same terms in the different settings.

Another one i did was the Itunes playlist like said but it started to get so much of them it annoyed me. Suppose it was my own fault for not deleting them after a while. I've only got a new laptop and remaking my libary as my old one was a complete mess but now im starting to organise it from scratch so it doesnt end up like my old one.

How does everyone else organise theres?

Tech Guru

I've liked the idea of "Tonight's music" and the rename of Tonight records to the Event Name and Date that it happens, seems so logical, It's good to look back after some months to even know if you improved your track selection and if your style is changing somehow...

Tech Wizard

Organizing has been driving me up the wall. Its all trial and error. At first you may think you found the best method but then after a gig or 2, you'll notice its not helping. I moved my music from Serato playlists to iTunes so I can now use Traktor...

I give myself 3 categories now - Hip Hop, House, or Pop. If the song is Beatportish - then its House. If its Lady Gaga or Pitbull - its Pop..no matter if its a House beat... if a song moves from House to Pop - ala David Guetta, then I just switch the genre and itll populate itself with smart playlists...

Then I do star ratings for those 3 genres seperately -
    5 stars = new music I should be pushing or new music that radio is pushing that I should too.
    4 stars = current party playlist. These are the big tunes now.
    3 stars = recurrents, songs not primetime but not out of fashion yet either
    2 stars = no brainers - the songs that never leave the crate, always work, the "go to" songs
    1 star = mellow/ opening/ closing music

This is my latest way of doing things... hopefully itll work for me.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JD76 View Post
    5 stars = new music I should be pushing or new music that radio is pushing that I should too.
    4 stars = current party playlist. These are the big tunes now.
    3 stars = recurrents, songs not primetime but not out of fashion yet either
    2 stars = no brainers - the songs that never leave the crate, always work, the "go to" songs
    1 star = mellow/ opening/ closing music

This is my latest way of doing things... hopefully itll work for me.
    This is really a great system, i'm going to copy that one
    Macbook Pro, VCI-100 FW 1.3, Traktor Pro, Audio 2 DJ

It's all about the house music, and it always will be.