do some producers do it on purpose?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default do some producers do it on purpose?

seen a lot of threads asking for beatgrid help with 'uncooperative' tracks, and have a few myself.

and was thinking, does anyone else think some of the producers do it on purpose? like set a weird bpm like 127.671, or add in extra beats coming out of a breakdown, totally throwing the grid out?

an example i have is paulo jackson - taboo, after coming out of the first breakdown bit, it plays 1.5 beats, then reverses back to the beginning of that and carrys on, messing my grid up.

i'm also convinced noisa have done something in gutterpump, cos my grid never seems right in that either...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

I have tracks like that yet the grid works fine the tracks just won't run along smoothly, mainly to do with the percussion.. I was shown a trick on how to make stuff a little bit more funky but not quantising certain parts and i think that's what they have done :/

that makes sense, or maybe over use of a 'shuffle' button...?

SoundCloud

a lot of times my tracks after i have bounced them out for some reason will have a weird BPM... i don't do it on purpose, it just happens. It never causes the track to sound weird, but they are harder to analyze and beatgrid.

Banned

Since a lot of the DAWs use a Midi time clock to be their tracks in sync, that could be the problem right there as Midi time clock does drift a bit back and forth over time. And if they are using hardware vs software set up there's even more room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    a lot of times my tracks after i have bounced them out for some reason will have a weird BPM... i don't do it on purpose, it just happens. It never causes the track to sound weird, but they are harder to analyze and beatgrid.
    thinking about it, i've noticed that with a few things i've put together in the past, it's more erroneous beats that appear in places that bugs me. like a last minute thing was thought of and just cut & pasted into the track

SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    an example i have is paulo jackson - taboo, after coming out of the first breakdown bit, it plays 1.5 beats, then reverses back to the beginning of that and carrys on, messing my grid up.
    That's when i just make a custom edit of the track, and set it up the way i want it.

i just added another grid marker

SoundCloud

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

I just checked the grid I have set for Gutterpump, and it is pretty much what traktor autogridded, with I think a slight bit of nudging... Odd thing is with the wave pattern it looks slightly wrong but the beats are actually on the grid... I have it at 127.98bpm which is probably like .02 off lol.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Sometimes producers move the beats slightly off of it's correct position to give the track more "swing" so that they sound with "human feeling" and imitate a live drummer. That causes inconsistent and not rounded tempos.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast