I know it's been discussed many times, but I'm having beat gridding issues...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default I know it's been discussed many times, but I'm having beat gridding issues...

I'm just starting to beat grid my tracks and I've watched Ian's tutorial on YouTube at least ten times so far. When I follow his tutorial I place the the first marker on the first kick hit. For some reason I just don't like putting it on a snare hit. I can't really explain why..

During my whole organizing workflow-- tagging, renaming the files, artwork if I can find it, and running it through mixed in key for the camelot key and BPM tags. BPM tags are stores in all my tracks.

So when I load a track and place the a cue point at the first kick then change it to grid, I follow Ian's instructions by skimming through the track and usually the grids line up perfectly through the whole track. I rarely have to make any adjustments. When gridding I make sure the white line is just on the beat. I adjust the grid until all white lines JUST hit the grid, no extra.

But when I play two tracks together, the kicks sound SLIGHTLY out of sync on just about every track I've gridded.

Any suggestions on fixing this?

I feel you on not wanting to drop the grid on the snare. The reason for this is because songs usually start with a kick on the 1 & 3 of a bar, where-as the snare is on the 2 & 4.

Tech Mentor

just get them like 90% an have the tempos the same and just do the other 10% by ear on the jog wheel of the vci??

i also drop my first marker on the first beat of the song, which i think is the bass

i dont beat grid to hard for me lol

Visually beatgridding for me is never 100% accurate. So to make sure the grid is correct, I confirm it by comparing to a reference tune. So what I do is put a 4-beat loop on my reference tune (mine is Pjanoo because it has very solid kicks) and play the song I'm gridding over top.

If they're synced and there's drift (beats get increasingly farther apart) then you have a tempo issue with your grid and I suggest either tapping it out, or readjusting the grid further into the tune to nail the bpm.

If they are just out of phase when synced (you hear the ba-dum of overlapping bass kicks) then you need to adjust placement of the grid. Using the move left and move right buttons of the grid menu under your decks, adjust until the beats become one/you are satisfied with the sound.

By always gridding with the same reference tune, all your tracks will be right on time with eachother.

I always use the metronome click - always.
    Takes me about as long as it does to do it visually, but I find it is a hell of a lot more accurate than just trying to line things up to a white line.

I also find that 9 times out of 10, if i drop a grid, then i have to pull it back by a far margin before it is spot on. Never really have to nudge it forward strangely enough.

Tech Wizard

I'm still having sync issues. I was about to try to metronome way that Dafe just mentioned but I can't get it to work. I turn on the tick button then I hit the cue button for that deck but I get nothing.

Edit: Ok, so I wasn't getting nothing-- the tick was there but it was hidden by the track that I had playing. I don't get how this tick can actually be useful. It doesn't help at all. It's basically just a little bit of static instead of something audible.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by verbal; 05-23-2010 at 10:25 PM.

may just be the different types of kicks, some are more subby, some more "clicky". use EQs to blend them, or just nudge it forward or backward.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

verbal, turn your monitor cue volume up
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Turning on click/metronome in external mode and doing it by ear works so much better than visually beat gridding. I use Ean's method for finding a beat to drop the grid in the beginning of the song and then listen beginning to end to make sure it's in sync the whole time.
    Von Doom! aka Victorious
    www.isvictorious.com
    Gear list goes here - "It's the carpenter, not the tools"

I agree on all of the above and have tried,but what happens when it starts to go off at about 1 min in.I adjust it, then at 2 1/2 mins in, again must adjust,and by the time the song is close to the end it`s totally off yet again...I have lots of songs that for the life of me I can`t grid,I must use multiple grid markers through out the song,is this normal? and how does it affect the bpm`s?(as I`am sure it does in some way)

I have tried using the FORCE but still nothing...lol

I`am using traktor 3.4.1...
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you just might miss it..."
    Tools:MBP 13", NI Kontrol 1,Novation twitch, Tractor Pro 2, LPD8, KRK 5's & 10" sub, AudioTechnica ATH-M40fs, Logic Express 9 and a Cactus!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast