Sound card recommendation for DVS system
    Tech Wizard

Default Sound card recommendation for DVS system

Hello,

I want to buy a soundcard for my DVS system (currently Traktor Scratch Pro). It should have:

- 2 stereo phono inputs (for using turntables)
    - 4 stereo outputs (I prefer mixing externally)
    - high sound quality and stability

Beside Audio 8 DJ, is there any other option? I do not particularly like the sound of that card.

I own a Motu Ultralite MK3, and another option would be to buy external phono preamps and use my current sound card. But that would mean more gear to carry around

I am open to any recommendations.

Thanks!
    Last edited by istrateo; 05-15-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Tech Guru

Quick question, I'm actually considering buying an Ultralite MK3 at the moment cause of the great stuff Im hearing about it's Mac OS support. What's your general experience with it?, good sound?, built well?, any gripes?

Tech Wizard

@mmauve:

I own a Ultralite MK3 Firewire (not the hybrid one).

- sound quality: very good, but not fabulous. IMO it sounds slightly better than a M-Audio Profire 610, but not as good as a Xone 4D.
    - build quality: like a tank
    - I use it on Mac OS X / Traktor, no problems with drivers. Easy to set up.

I didn't test the built-in sound processor & effects & mixer. I only used it for DJ-ing.

Downsides:
    - pretty big (compared to other soundcards)
    - no phono inputs

if you own traktor scratch pro then you should already own a certified soundcard or mixer right?

you're options soundcards for TSP are limited to the approved ones unless you are using some cracked version.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by istrateo View Post
    @mmauve:

I own a Ultralite MK3 Firewire (not the hybrid one).

- sound quality: very good, but not fabulous. IMO it sounds slightly better than a M-Audio Profire 610, but not as good as a Xone 4D.
    - build quality: like a tank
    - I use it on Mac OS X / Traktor, no problems with drivers. Easy to set up.

I didn't test the built-in sound processor & effects & mixer. I only used it for DJ-ing.

Downsides:
    - pretty big (compared to other soundcards)
    - no phono inputs
    Thanks for the input dude, really appreciate it! - in your experiences (aside from the Xone 4D) whats the best sound card you've used personally?. I always like hearing other people opinions on this

Anyhow, TSP is sort of a funky matter, you either gotta get a mixer with a built in interface which can support the time code translation, or you have to use some select sound cards with it.

I've heard that Serato's SL1 interface can be used with Traktor via ASIO4ALL. Have you considered that?

Maybe SL1 interface can be used, but definitely not with Traktor Scratch Pro because it's not 'Traktor certified'. Basically only the audio 8 fits your need if you want to go TSP.

Phono pre amps are not so large/expensive: http://www.phonopreamps.com/

Tech Wizard

Thank you for the responses, I guess I will have to choose between phono preamps or Audio 8 DJ

@mmauve:

The SL1 soundcard does not fit the profile - it does not have 4 stereo outputs

I have personally used the following sound cards:

- Motu Ultralite MK3 Firewire - best one so far, see above for details
    - M-audio Profire 610 - nice sound (very close to CDJ1000 MK3), 4 stereo outputs, nice build. Good soundcard.
    - Audio 8 DJ - it has everything you need except sound quality (IMO, it sounds significantly worse than CDJ1000 MK3).
    - ESI U46DJ MK1 - sound quality: worse than Audio 8 DJ, no drivers for Vista (cand be used only on XP or Mac OS X), but it is cheap. Good for bedroom or bars.

Tech Wizard

mmauve, what is your personal experience with different soundcards?

So it has to be the NI audio 8?! I already own another DVS and have the option of a reduced upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro minus the soundcard. But I would have to buy that separately?

you need to use a traktor certified soundcard or mixer to use TSP