Any thoughts on the Numark Mixdeck?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Any thoughts on the Numark Mixdeck?

I wasn't aware of this piece of kit until recently.

Right now a couple of my buddies are roommates. One of them has SSL1, MK5's and a decent little setup. They both use it. My other buddy wants to get some CDJ's to both add to the setup, and to prep his own setup when he actually gets his own place. And he's come to me to help find him something decent.

Right now we are looking for "budget" solutions. He basically wants to either be able to use a DVS or see waveforms, and so that's why he's been looking toward CDJ's. Most clubs around here have them as well, and he wants to get some experience on them since none of our crew own any at the moment.

So, I've been looking at the mixdeck for him at the moment.

I like it because it has the IPOD backup, ability to act as a CD controller or a MIDI controller, and each part is independent.

This is a review I found helpful:
    DJ Forum Mixdeck Review

Also found these two video's really helpful:
    [youtube]UICpC_CpEvI[/youtube]
    [youtube]eODtx6NcrF4[/youtube]

The BIG thing that I haven't been able to answer a question to is if the Mixdeck would be able to be used with SSL. I imagine we'd need a SSL box and timecode CD's. But coming with Traktor, he very might be won over given a little time. I'm not really sure. He's most familiar on SSL, and they already have a SSL box in the household.

Right now we are just looking/planning. He's not totally opposed to a VCI-300 either, but he really likes the idea of CDJ's.

I've never really dealt with CDJ's beyond just going wikiwiki in Guitar Center, so it's a bit new territory for myself as well.

I mean, it'd be great to hop on a nice set of CDJ-800's but I really think it's probably out of the price range.

Effective cost on the unit is about $700. That's including the two decks, mixer, basic software, and basic soundcard. Trying to price out a pioneer option that hits close to the features... just isn't happening.

But considering the mixdeck and the vci-300 are roughly the same cost (though in the future he'd have to get his own SL1 box to use SSL), what would you guys suggest?
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Only downside is that the crossfader has no midi. But other than that i would pick a mixdeck over a vci300 any day. I only heard good things about the mixdeck over at the vdj forums. MIDI, CD, IPOD and a USB-Flashdrive support is awesome compared to a vci300 imho.
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

I have been thinking about these....for 500$ I think it's pretty fair
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMf2WuHvV-4

The only thing I've really heard is stay away from AA and Gemini. Just from different reviews on reliability and the like.

I mean honestly Numark isn't known for it's amazing equipment either, but I've heard only good things about some of the new line they have come out with lately. NS7, V7, Mixdeck, Numark NDX800. That's the only reason I'm looking at them at all in consideration.

Tech Guru

there were some vids on youtube about it not working well - at all.

There are a few reviews on the NI site. I'll see if I can dig them up. Not sure if the issues were resolved. After I read them, I stopped looking into this system.

Yeah I have seen some pretty harsh you tube reviews on the mixdeck...I forgot to add that part in. If there's a guitar center around you I am pretty sure they carry it, you could bring in some cd's and fiddle around haha

Tech Mentor

as a previous owner of a mixdeck, i would have to strongly discourage you from getting this.

basically, it just comes down to poor execution of a great design. the idea for the setup is incredible, and what led me to buy the mixdeck. but poor build quality really kills it.

just one example...when loading a CD with multiple tracks, the mixdeck would get confused and display the wrong track name, from the track that was being played (really killed my set one time).

but, i had one of the first batches of mixdecks, when the mixer was still black, so numark may have addressed these issues in later models, not sure.

finally, just an fyi incase you have not realized this yet, the ipod is on a separate channel, therefore the crossfader has no control, nor do the platters.

like i said, GREAT idea just poor execution on numark's part. hope this helps

Yeah I mean I'd only see the IPOD as a backup/recording device. Would be nice to spend the evening mixing, and then next day driving to/from work listening to the mix you spew out the night before on the car/at the gym. It's kind of a gimmiky feature that I only like because it's straight up backup o shit moment potential.

Yeah I was reading about some of the first gen stuff, but also read that there has been a firmware update on it. (One of the best reasons not to buy something when it's brand spanking new I figure).

***** Release Notes for MixDeck CD Firmware version .034 *****

CHANGES SINCE VERSION .33

- Platter pitch bend sensitivity has been reduced to prevent ramping effect during beat matching and scratch push-off.

- Fixes issue where two matching default LOOP IN points caused mp3 titles to be left on deck after eject.

CHANGES SINCE VERSION .026

- Fixes Audio CD Track Naming issue where track titles were sometimes displayed for the previous/next track on the disc.

- Fixes issue where "CUE" and "CUE FORWARD" Scratch modes were still recognized after SCRATCH function was turned off. (paused state only)

- Adds the LOOP IN cue point recognition to all "CUE" Scratch modes. Platter Touch cueing in all "CUE" Scratch modes now corresponds to the last cue point triggered (LOOP or MASTER cue respectively).

Important: IF A LOOP IN POINT IS PRESENT, THE "CUE SCRATCH" MODE WILL NOT USE A NEW MASTER CUE POINT UNTIL THE MASTER CUE IS TRIGGERED (PLAY is pressed a second time). THE SETTING OF THE MASTER CUE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A TRIGGER.

- Fixes an issue where extremely fast turning of the PARAMETER knob could cause deck instability (mp3 data only)

- Fixes minor issue where platter LED's would not light after changing from USB to CD source.

That being said, I'm not one to be able to compare from where it was to where it is now. But all things considered, if something is getting firmware updates, it's a step in the right direction. My buddy is just worried about dropping ~$700 on it though and it not being Pioneer.

Tech Mentor

BigC - good point on the iPod, definitely a more reasonable use!

I wasnt aware of the firmware updates, and to be honest they address a lot of the issues i had.

if your friend plans to mostly use this as a MIDI controller, i saw go for it as thats where the least problems lie. But as a cd/mp3 player i would be very hesitant.

Like i said, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone, but it definitely has its appeal!

you also might want to point out to your friend that a used arcade edition is in his price range :-)

Yeah he honestly has mixed feelings about Traktor, which is why we haven't really been looking at Traktor oriented devices.

I mean he just simply mixes with SSL. Two turntables, SSL, and a cheap gemini mixer at the moment. He's got beat-matching down at least via waveform, and is one of those guys who slightly frowns at auto-sync. I've talked the merits of Traktor to him but he just likes Serato products better, I mean, it is what he's used to. He doesn't even use sampling or effects to any degree at this point in time. And he wouldn't need to buy a Serato box right off the bat either since the setup would be in one house, and they can just switch er back and forth really.

He doesn't own any of the equipment he uses regularly though, and that's a big for him since a lot of the smaller venues in this area (not a huge scene) basically want you to bring your stuff to hook into the club sound system.

So finding something that is decent, compatible at some point with SSL and/or ITCH, and has some real world application to getting used to CDJ's is pretty much the goal.

Yeah going to keep my eyes open for him, and going to give the local GC a call and see if they have one that we could take a look at.

Hell, honestly this thing is making me think about getting one as well the more I look at it, I'm not going to lie. I just got Ableton and am really enjoying it for production but the more I play with traditional setups for mixing, the more I like the idea of a controller or CDJ's with Traktor. And it'd be nice to have the option not to use the computer if I didn't need to. Bah. Damn looking at equipment.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast