What's the deal with whitelabel?

Default What's the deal with whitelabel?

OK, so you register at Serato and also get free access to whitelabel. Is it any real use?

I know you need Itch or SSL hardware connected to play the tracks you get at anything above 32 kbps (I have to try one just to hear how bad it is!), but is there anything worth trawling around on the site for? Do record companies put decent songs on there or is it artists and/or tracks that they are not so sure about?

Free music always sounds too good to be true, and usually is, so whats the catch? Can you play these songs out, or are they just for "your personal listening pleasure"?

I searched these forums for some insights and came up dry, so I wanted to put the question out there.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

Honestly, very rarely do I find anything of use in the Whitelabel service, it caters alot to hip hop and rap (which is cool, just not my thing). The thing that kinda pisses me off is that they really kill the quality of the files unless you play them within Serato software.

You can play them out no issues as long as you are using a Serato based setup. It basically lets you promote these new tracks without being able to use them for anything except DJing.

That's what I get from it at least. I signed up on the forums and went to check it out myself, but as I'm really not a Rap/Hip-Hop person myself, I figured just something else I don't really ever need to bother with.

That being said, for someone who spins that kind of stuff on a regular basis I can could see the benefit.

Basically I see it as Serato controlled DRM in a way. It's promotional so there's no issue, and you can't complain with legit free, but I figure if a track is really going to be worth it for me, I'm probably not going to get it for free. (unless it's some crazy bootleg).
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    I figure if a track is really going to be worth it for me, I'm probably not going to get it for free.
    Hear you loud and clear. Not much of a hip-hop/rap guy myself (my boss in England used to call it "rap with a capital C", too harsh but funny)

I figured DJTT would be a good place to ask, as there are SO many Serato fanboys around here *ducking*. LOL

At least they are legit copies then. I scanned through the site quickly and was not impressed, but I'll look through in more detail.

Cheers, Phil.
    Last edited by pilmat; 05-16-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typos
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I dont even know where to begin with White Label.
    All ill say is can you imagine any other company getting away with what Serato do with WL.
    Its worse than iTunes.

Share the music for fucks sake.

oh god, whitelabel is horrible if your mixing anything other than hip hop

I was looking for some dnb and i only found 2 - one of which was good a Quemists album, the other utter crap.

I am not impressed to say the least, it doesnt look like things are going to change either...

I think that futher goes to cement the stupid idea that "serato is for hip hop" in users eyes - which it isnt of course, but thats the general consensus with a lot of user who dont really know what they are on about.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I think that futher goes to cement the stupid idea that "serato is for hip hop" in users eyes - which it isnt of course, but thats the general consensus with a lot of user who dont really know what they are on about.
    Maybe thats exactly what the guys at Serato are after, would also explain their lack of SYNC button; hip-hop dj's are much cooler than SYNC

white label is shite, even for hip hop.
    i wont lie i have found stuff i liked on it, but once you get past the stuff thats been overplayed youre left with very slim pickings.
    some of the shit from BBE on white label is solid, i really liked the phantogram singles they had available - the other stuff i saw on there that was available was really already played out.
    i still check in on it from time to time as it IS free but its been a bit since i heard anything i wanted to download
    Last edited by diezdiazgiant; 05-16-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: drunk bad grammar

Default thought maybe it was just me

i love hip hop, and still think everything on there is worthless.
    total waste of time