New Gear Questions: Timecode and Fast Track Pro

Default New Gear Questions: Timecode and Fast Track Pro

Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking to get back into djing and wanted to get some opinions on a potential setup I have planned out in my head before I actually buy everything.

I'm a huge fan of Traktor and been using it both on a Windows 7 64-bit PC and Laptop, as well as an older Mac Book. I'm set on getting a VCI-100 that will work for most of my basic needs but I wanted to prepare for expansion and need some advice.

Although I don't do a ton of scratch / battle DJing, I still love vinyl and would love to add at least one SL1200 to my setup eventually. My goal would be to have the VCI-100 controll almost everything and then get one 1200 with timecode to control a specific deck as I choose. I understand how the basic set up works (to the extent that I will need to route the 1200 into Traktor) but I'm not exactly sure how this with my soundcard.

I have a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and I think it has the necessary inputs and output to do this but I just wanted to check. I'm a little confused on which ports are balanced and which ones are unbalanced, as well as stereo vs mono.

It says 4 in 4 out, but when I look on the back, it's a bit more complicated than that. For starters, I have no idea what S/PDIF In / Out is for. I see 4 RCA Outputs Labled 1 - 4, and from what I understand, the front headphone port mirrors 3/4, so in Traktor I have 1/2 set to master, and 3/4 set to monitor. Everything works fine there, but I don't get the TRS ports. It has 2 Outputs, but I can't tell if these are mono or stereo, or how I would use them. I would like to be able to run addition speakers from these but I'm not sure how I would set this up. Then as far as Inputs go, there are 2 TRS Inserts, again, I'm not sure if these are Stereo or if they could be used to attach a turntable at all. Looking online, I couldn't really find what port a 1200 uses (I assume its 2 RCA jacks) but I think I would need some adapters to make this happen.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I'd love any answers you can think of, or just more information on timecode integration and details about balanced vs unbalanced, mono vs stereo.

Thanks in advance.

Tech Guru

im pretty sure for all versions 1.2.4 and above you need TSP and an Audio 4/8 sound card to use timecode vinyl.

That sound card does not have the necessary phono pre-amp necessary to connect a 1200. The Stanton turntables, however, have line out which you could connect to your soundcard. The biggest issue is that you want to do timecode (DVS), Traktor requires you to use either their sound card (Audio 4 DJ or Audio 8 DJ only) or a certified mixer (that has a soundcard built in). So your card can't be used for DVS.

For an understanding of balanced and unbalanced, on the home page type "cable pizza" into the search. That article will give you a quick oversight.

Ask any questions that the article doesn't help with. I've helped a couple of members with this exact question, so you are not alone and don't be shy!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post

Ask any questions that the article doesn't help with. I've helped a couple of members with this exact question, so you are not alone and don't be shy!
    hahahah. Yes. This ^^^

Im one of those fools!

Thanks for the reply's, it's really nice that I can post basic questions and get helpful responses without getting flamed for not scouring forums for previous posts, regardless of whether or not they would actually answer my question.

I had a feeling that I should have gone with an Audio 4 or Audio 8, I bought the Fast Track Pro on a bit of an impulse and have really regretted it. The drivers for Window's 7 are horrible and it's given me a ton of problems. Oh well, I guess I'll try and swap it out around the same time I want to add a turn table.

Any idea what's the deal with the TRS in / outs on the back of the FTP? My idea is that, when all set up, I would have my head phones plugged in the front, a pair of monitors to the RCA 1/2 playing the master output back and then run TRS outs to an amp with some bigger speakers for the dancefloor.