Business Card Musts. What Are They?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Business Card Musts. What Are They?

Hey Guys,
    I was searching the forums and looking for some help on this, but I couldn't get all of the info. I'm about to get my business cards going and need some help.
    What's essential for your business card?
    1. Logo
    2. Personal Website
    3. Phone Number
    4. Email@yourdomain
    5. Location
    6. Do you put your real name AND/OR DJ name?
    7. Music Genres?
    8. Smaller Logo on the back?

I know all are different, but I do not want to leave out anything (or put anything in) that may make me look less professional.
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

Tech Mentor

logo, sure
    website, absolutely
    phone number, yes
    email, maybe
    location, nah
    names, whatever floats your boat
    genres, nah

Tech Mentor

keep it to the bare minimum.

Name. email. website. sometimes websites are not necessary as it is common knowledge that if your email is soandso@deejay.com, that your url is www.deejay.com. Unless your email has a different @... the website listing is up to you.

Logo, sure if it's good. if not, simple type cards are the best way to go. Because the edm scene is blasted with colors, going with 1 or 2 colors with great typography, always makes you stand out.

http://www.thegridsystem.org/

Look at a basic lesson in great typography above.

Depends on how seriously you take the music.

I'm not joking either.

It's easy to spot the wannabee in comparison to someone who just wants a bit of fame.

Don't take this as a criticism, but as advice. Concentrate on the music and local gigs will come calling, trust me.

Fame is seriously over rated. (I'm not famous)

I don't disagree with what you're saying Archies'bald, but I don't see how relevant it is to making business cards.
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."

Quote Originally Posted by The Vly View Post
    I don't disagree with what you're saying Archies'bald, but I don't see how relevant it is to making business cards.
    I don't disagree with what your saying, but I don't see what it has to do with DJing.

Last edited by Archies'bald; 05-22-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: See the drunk thread......soz.

DJing also happens to be about networking.
    You could be an amazing DJ, but waiting for someone to come to you and offer you a gig or whatever is pretty unrealistic.
    Staying true to the music and networking are not mutually exclusive.

Name (real, so people know what to call you when they try to get ahold of you)
    Phone #
    Email and/or website

I do both club work and mobile DJing, as well as video production, and I have gone through several different cards. In my experience I have found that if your card really stands out visually, the more often people hold on to it and call you back.

for example, handing out this card:

has gotten me way more work than handing out this card:

As a DJ I see myself as more of an artist than a businessman, and having my card reflect that helps me project that image to potential clients. The challenge is finding something original that represents you and what you do.

PS... I stole the art for both of these cards from the interwebs.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

I have 2 cards...

"My Elite" business card, with name, personal email, and phone #, website. That gets handed to other like minded producers and label owners who I want to have my email addy...

Then I have a general card... has my name, an email that is not my personal email but i still check, and my phone #, website. Too many people want to add me to their stupid email lists.. and if so I don't want them getting my personal email address... so they get the one that is info@.......

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I have one last question. It looks like both of you use your real names (or partially) for DJing. Since my name is completely different than my DJ name, should I put both? Or just skip the DJ name?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast