Best setup for solely mixing/effects?
    Tech Convert

Default Best setup for solely mixing/effects?

Hey fellas, I've been lurking the forums for a few months trying to take everything in but now I need some help in creating a setup. I'll be a senior in college, applying to dental school, have limited funds, will be paying off loans forever, so i'm looking for a budget setup that will allow me to mix for the college bar/club scene. I've been DJing with traktor a couple years so I'm pretty fluent with the software. I've already had a couple gigs at locals bars just mixing on the software but I'm looking for something that will allow me to play some bigger club venues. I'm pretty set ona firebox because I like the production aspect. I would love a VCI-100se but I don't think I can afford it at the moment. I was thinking about a kontrol x1 but there's no crossfader (but would i even need one)? Also, any good headphone suggestions?

Let me know what you think.

Well there are a few options you can go with. If the VCI-100SE is out of your price range and you already have Traktor, there are a few things.

The simplist solution I can think of would be the Hercules RMX (Comes with built in soundcard) or Hercules Steel (Does not have a built in soundcard). A lot of people tend to start out with it, and tend to like it. I don't have personal experience with it, but it looks like a solid piece of kit. It's probably the budget setup I've seen recommended the most.

The other option would be picking up a mixer and getting something to go along with it. It can be MIDI mappable or external, but that's what you would be using alongside something like the Kontrol X1 or the Maschine. It really depends on the mixer you decide to get, but there are some decent inexpensive options out there if you want to rock the X1 or Maschine.

Really it comes down to what you want to buy and what your budget is, and getting a more expensive soundcard will set you back other ways if you are working with a tight budget.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

What about an X-session pro and a kontrol x1 with an audio 2 thrown in, seems like a really solid, mobile setup if you ask me and it wouldnt cost too much especially if you can pick some stuff up used!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by giorgio1712 View Post
    What about an X-session pro and a kontrol x1 with an audio 2 thrown in, seems like a really solid, mobile setup if you ask me and it wouldnt cost too much especially if you can pick some stuff up used!
    +100000 on that

x session used = 50$
    kontrol x1 = 200$
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Convert

I like the look of the xsession + kontrol x1. Anyone have any experience with xsession pro? It looks a little, well, plasticy.

I have one actually, and it is what it is. It's faders and such aren't super amazing, but it works and it's actually pretty solid construction wise. I picked one up off buy.com a bit back for $60 new, so the price was right.

It's also completely mappable so you have full freedom with that. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a MIDI mixer solution. I'm actually surprised I didn't think to recommend it, since it's sitting here right in-front of me.

Tech Convert

any headphone recommendations?

Once again depends on your budget for headphones. I plan on picking up a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 - II headphones shortly, and my buddy swears by his Xone 53's.

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php

That's a link to a pretty decent review of a few different cans.

I have started with the Hercules RMX. Not bad for the new-comer.