arcade button no worky anymore :(
    Tech Guru

Default arcade button no worky anymore :(

One of my arcade buttons isnt working anymore. Probably because I had to stuff it into my carryon suite case (well its a Samsonite and fairly sturdy) and I had plenty of clothing as cushioning. Anyway the button itself doesnt look damaged, but Traktor isn't seeing any MIDI signal at all when I press it. Is this issue "known" aka .. its likely that the arcade button just needs replacement or is it more likely that something inside is more seriously damaged?
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Those button can take a LOT of abuse, I'ld be surprised you could kill it that way. I would suggest you open up the unit (just the back cover) and make sure the wires are still properly attached. Next, bypass the diode and see if it works (if so the diode is broken). Next bypass the switch and see if it works (replace switch). Otherwise it could be something more major but I would not think so (all else works fine, right?).

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

ok thx. will do as you suggest once i get back. indeed everything else seemed to work fine.
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Guru

one of the cables of the given button has come undone. guess i will have to see if my uncle has a soldering iron. or maybe i can grab one from my parents place in berlin. kinda wondering how it has come undone to begin with.

Tech Guru

today i finally got a soldering iron. a more solder experienced co-worker had a go at it. the issue was that he spend too long trying to clean off the old solder from the arcade button. as a result the arcade button heated up too much and now the arcade button is busted. just ordered a new one and plenty of extra and a crane stand and new knobs/faders and a new overlay and and and .. expensive little arcade button it was ;-)

anyway phil, next time comes to you guys with a similar issue make sure to remind them not to heat up the arcade button while cleaning off the old solder.

Pinching the contact with a pair of tweezers or thin long nosed pliers helps to draw heat away from the plastic. Also, he might have used a soldering iron that's of either too high or too low a wattage for the solder that needed to be removed. You'll know it's too high if the plastic starts softening immediately. Too low can also be a problem because by the time the solder starts to liquify, the plastic would have already softened.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yeah, be patient when your heating your soldering iron. Starting to soon is probably the root of most problems people have.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x