Is this vestax vci-100 mod possible?

Default Is this vestax vci-100 mod possible?

I have the standard silver vestax vci-100. It is sold on this site, but mine doesn't have the arcade buttons. Can I get the new mapping and updated firmware and then install the arcade buttons to replace the buttons I already have, as well as change the knobs I have? Most importantly I want to get the arcade buttons put on. Is this possible? I also was going to get the black faceplate to fit the arcade buttons and the new mapping.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tcdoubleya View Post
    I have the standard silver vestax vci-100. It is sold on this site, but mine doesn't have the arcade buttons. Can I get the new mapping and updated firmware and then install the arcade buttons to replace the buttons I already have, as well as change the knobs I have? Most importantly I want to get the arcade buttons put on. Is this possible? I also was going to get the black faceplate to fit the arcade buttons and the new mapping.
    Not quite.

The new mapping and firmware are free and avalible to download from djtechtools. To preform the upgrade you must buy a special unit to upload the new firmware to your VCI (costs like $24 from the djtt store).

As for the black faceplates, they aren't faceplates; it's an huge sticker like overlay that covers the VCI and you take the old faceplates off (also from the djtt store). The knobs and arcade buttons are also at the djtt store.

As for actually installing the arcade buttons, you will need to disassemble your VCI and get a machine shop to cut holes according to a cut file provided on the djtt blog. You will need to solder new connections to the arcade buttons with diodes on the ground, it's not that hard but you should have a basic understanding of electronics and soldering before attempting this.

Basically you can't get your VCI-100 modded, you have to do it yourself or buy one pre-modded from the ddtt store.
    Check out my EDM blog: http://lacedwithbass.com/

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yes, you can do it yourself.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/2...iy-arcade-mod/

The cut guide is a CAD file that you give to the machine shop. If your comfortable with grinding and filing on your faceplate you can do it yourself, I would recommend a machine shop though if your not pretty confident in your abilities.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

You can cut holes w/ a Dremel. I haven't messed w/ my VCI-100 but I've widened plenty of holes (badump tsshhh) with my Dremel. Requires a garage, and steady hands.

As an official arcade enthusiast, I will go on the record and say Seimitsu buttons are better than Sanwa.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    You can cut holes w/ a Dremel. I haven't messed w/ my VCI-100 but I've widened plenty of holes (badump tsshhh) with my Dremel. Requires a garage, and steady hands.

As an official arcade enthusiast, I will go on the record and say Seimitsu buttons are better than Sanwa.
    Do they make a button that fits the VCI? I searched "Seimitsu buttons" and some clear ones came up, looks pretty interesting.
    Check out my EDM blog: http://lacedwithbass.com/

I've tried seimitsu buttons on some of my projects, and i found that the sensitivity was horrible. It made it almost impossible to do a quick triplet. I understand that gamers may like a less sensitive button, but i love how i can barely tap a sanwa button and it responds.