Ipod/Iphone/Ipad Music Apps Official Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ipod/Iphone/Ipad Music Apps Official Thread

There should be an official DJTT thread about music creation and production apps for the Ipod and Ipad. I know many of us have seen the Rana June Ipad DJ thread, but I think there should be a serious thread for apps that people in the DJ Tech Tools community find useful. This thread can include Write-Ups, Reviews, Recommendations and Troubleshooting for such apps. DJTT could use this thread to comment and get article ideas about controllerism on Ipods, Iphones and Ipads.

To start, I will talk about 6 apps that I personally find quite useful. Although I am just starting in the digital DJ game, I have found that many iPod apps have helped me not only stimulate my creativity, but also be of actual use when practicing mixing. The most helpful and creative app I have found on the Ipod is Groovemaker. Groovemaker is an amazing music production app that has recently been expanded onto the Ipad. For those of you who don't know what Groovemaker is, it is a tool to create beats and songs on the fly. Equipped with 8 channel slots, it allows you to put together songs of various genres which currently include House, Techno, Reggae, Rock and many more. They also have specials almost every few weeks charging only $2.99 per song pack (which usually comes with 4 songs). It not only allows you to choose from a variety of musical parts such as Bass, Loop, Lines, Pads, BD, Percussion, and FX, but it also allows you to change the pan and the volume of the individual channels. This app has been expanded in the Ipad to let you individually control each of the 8 channels' volume, the master volume and each channels' individual pan. This can seriously be an inexpensive option to anyone new to the Digital DJ world (such as myself) to replace Reason and Ableton Live (although it is obviously not as in depth). Additionally, you can sequence your music. For anyone skeptical, I would highly recommend downloading their free version which gives you a free song; also, if you register you get an additional free song. Registering also gives you the option to be able to publish your sequenced mixes and download them on the internet. This is helpful because you can edit your sequences (each part has uniform timing) in a multitude of production programs and allows you to mix your sequences in via Traktor. When practicing my mixes, I have found that killing the low on a track and adding my own beats from Groovemaker can be a fun learning experience. Please go and see for yourself and comment on its pros and cons; I would definitely like to get a more professional view on this app.

Along with the Groovemaker app, I have found that Looptastic can also be quite useful. Although it doesn't seem quite as in depth as Groovemaker, it can definitely be fun to use and learn, especially for any aspiring producer. It basically lets you control the volumes of each musical part and allows you to put them into 3 groups in order to cross-fade between them, the left and right being the fade-able channels and the middle always being used. I have not had as much experience with this, but I know it has been expanded on the Ipad. I would suggest Groovemaker over this, but I would definitely like to get someone feedback on this app.

Two really fun apps that I have found that can replace cue points (only on these two certain songs) are the iDaft app and the Daft Drum app. Both of these apps are quite useful with Daft Punk songs. However, they are very fun to use and can also take out the need for cue points in both "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" and "Technologic". Both of these apps have every phrase in the songs as individual buttons and the beats to play the songs with. If you have good enough knowledge of these songs then you can even play them only with this app. It is also very fun to improvise over the beats and make your own lyrics for the songs. The iDaft app is free. Its only downside is that the beats included are very limited. However, they are the actual beats from the song. The Daft Drum app is only $0.99 and contains each individual drum and beat part along with 4 loops that are the actual beats from the songs. This app also only includes "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger," but it can stimulate more creativity that iDaft. Also, iDaft limits your beat length whereas Daft Drum is endless. If anyone has any more information regarding these two apps or reviews of any similar apps (I know there are other Daft Punk apps, these are the only ones I felt were worth downloading), please share!

For those in the post about a monome program called nonome, I introduce Beatwave. Although I am very naive to the whole monome thing, this is a very good app to learn how to use one. This app includes a 16x16 grid (256 square) and three different "note types" (there are also two additional free ones you can download inside the app). This app is free and allows you to create four layers of sound. I would not necessarily recommend this for set/mixing use but it is definitely a nice, easy, and free way to get your feet wet in the monome field. Anyone who has used a real monome and can compare/give better inside to this, please post!

Finally, I give you the Deadmau5 Touch Mix app. This is a very inexpensive app which breaks down some of Deadmau5's best songs into three individual channels and allows for creative mixing on two channels. Although this is very easy to do inside of Traktor (I have definitely done it myself and was able to almost immediately after getting my controller), it can definitely be a useful tool to not waste your cue points on parts and concentrate on beat juggling. This is a very useful tool to anyone new to mixing and can illustrate the importance of breaking all of your songs down mentally and/or by cue point into different "parts". There are actually two versions of this app however the second one includes all of the songs on the first.

This is a novice view of these apps, but I would definitely recommend these to anyone getting into DJ'ing and anyone looking for a utility to explore creativity on-the-go. If anyone found these apps useful or helpful, please post! Post any other apps that might fit into this field, even apps for more experienced DJ's (I know Ableton has introduced an app to control Live). I hope anyone who reads this finds it helpful!
    Last edited by BoomBoom90; 06-02-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    DJ: Numark Total Control, Numark DJ/IO Sound Card, Gemeni PMX 60 Mixer, Ipod Touch, Traktor LE
    Production: Sony Acid Xpress 7.0, Audacity, Anything Free

I did a review of the iElectribe app here: http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/05/0...ad_ielectribe/

The other music tools I have installed are ReBirth and Sonorasaurus Rex.

ReBirth is a full blown version (OK 99% of it) of the once uber-popular Propellerhead DAW. I haven't spent too much time playing around with it, but it is really cool.

Sonorasaurus Rex is a 2 deck DJ app. Its OK, but the sound is muddy at best and I can't get into the touch control. My biggest gripe is that you have to import the songs into a separate location, and can't access your iTunes library, this is an epic fail for me. No way am I going to import a song twice on the same device... If they fix this and find a way to get a 4 channel audio card into the camera adapter, this could be my house party rig.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    I did a review of the iElectribe app here: http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/05/0...ad_ielectribe/

ReBirth is a full blown version (OK 99% of it) of the once uber-popular Propellerhead DAW. I haven't spent too much time playing around with it, but it is really cool.

Sonorasaurus Rex is a 2 deck DJ app. Its OK, but the sound is muddy at best and I can't get into the touch control. My biggest gripe is that you have to import the songs into a separate location, and can't access your iTunes library, this is an epic fail for me. No way am I going to import a song twice on the same device... If they fix this and find a way to get a 4 channel audio card into the camera adapter, this could be my house party rig.

Phil.
    iElectribe looks AWESOME it really makes me want an ipad thats seriously what all companies should start doing. I'll definitely have to check out ReBirth as well. As for Sonorasaurus Rex I have had experience with these kinds of apps and have honestly just deemed them insufficient, midi controllers are always going to be more useful no matter what the price. I am a firm believer that the new generation of ipads need to have USB ports. There should be more integration between the ipad and the computer especially in the music world. Also (going along on the iElectribe feel) companies should start integrating their software into the ipad, any turntablist would love not having to bring their laptop but still be able to use pads/drum machines, etc. in their set. Thanks for the awesome insight!

This looks really cool and I am definitely going to check it out! It really seems like the ipad is going to be a way more useful tool in the digital DJ'ing world than the ipod but it's definitely good to dabble on and right now I am definitely wishing I had an ipad. If you wanted to review BeatMaker that would be awesome and may be tell us a little about it, I know the Apple store has reviews but I would definitely like to get someone in the DJTT world's take on it. Thanks for the suggestion!
    DJ: Numark Total Control, Numark DJ/IO Sound Card, Gemeni PMX 60 Mixer, Ipod Touch, Traktor LE

@Photojojo

Just purchased BeatMaker it is awesome! I thought Groovemaker was good but this takes it to a whole new level thanks!

Default Update for Tonetable App

The scratching is much better. It has some new features, too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Zd9XGN8PM

God damn every time I see an iPad or a program for the iPad it just makes me want one more and more. Anyone see an Ableton iPad app in the future? Also what if the iPad had USB ports and could run programs like Traktor or Ableton allowing you to plug your controllers in? Just food for thought. Also Ean wrote an article pertaining to this, however its a little dated, but can be found here:http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/05/0...-your-i-phone/

This is pretty interesting too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvWFv954IBU
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Forget where I found this (sorry if it's a dupe) but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGM3m9wScM

I also wonder where to draw the line between "DJ" app and "Musicality" app, and I don't necessarily want to start spamming the thread with any app that can be considered "Musical" but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWuSaC32pl4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast