How far can you take Traktor w/o an API?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How far can you take Traktor w/o an API?

Okay, so NI offers no API for Traktor due to issues w/ stability. Fair enough. But, there are some things I do not like, mainly w/ the inability to add my own tags to my collection. As w/ all things computer related, there's ways around limitations. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd love to hear it.

I guess the easiest way to "manipulate" Traktor from an external program would be to map keys and then have your program simulate these key-presses. The caveat would be grabbing focus of Traktor I assume.

Another feature that I thought could be useful would be to add & delete tracks from a playlist. These seems relatively easy assuming you can find where the playlist is stored. Whether it will refresh or not seems to be key.

If you have something interesting to add, feel free!

What the hell you are talking about? You can do all that already with Traktor have you even tried the program?
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by pepehouse View Post
    What the hell you are talking about? You can do all that already with Traktor have you even tried the program?
    Open your mind a little. That's a micro piece of the puzzle b/c I don't want to go into the macro. This hypothetical playlist will be populated & depopulated automatically based on what track is playing (which would be based on tags and shit the user sets at some other time, *EXTERNAL to Traktor*).

Thanks for your valuable input.

Tech Guru

Hmmm...I *think* I know what you're hinting at, but I could be wrong. Have you checked this out?:

http://software.xfx.net/utilities/ape/index.htm

Ah, yes. That's the basic premise... at least at first. My main gripe with Traktor is that I can't add my own tags. This is something easy to program, but it's just not there. So, I'm just going to do something that reads in the collection file, and also adds some tags to it. Easy peasy.

However, the other slightly more advanced feature would be, since I do long mixes, I don't really have time to "test out" the next track. There are some tracks that just do not go together no matter how hard you try. Some, do. There would be some type of tagging feature where you can rank how well an intro & extro go together. (Right now I have to rely on the 2 comment fields in Traktor) In the app, you can easily highlight the good and ghost out the bad, which may work for people that don't mind another application running. But I was thinking of taking it a step further and somehow getting these tracks to reflect in Traktor. You can easily edit playlists in collection.nml, but I don't know how Traktor's going to like something else editing that thing while it's running. I also don't know if it would refresh or not. So, at this point, I'm just thinking out loud and seeing what can be done. Of course, dicking around w/ it and finding out is part of the fun, too!

have you tried Rapid Evolution available at www.mixshare.com? it can do similar to what you're talking about, but it isn't inside of traktor.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Yeah, that's quite similar. I'm mainly looking more for a tool that doesn't do all that "for you" but is kind of an extension of the users brain & experience. Think of it as an advanced notes taker... then you can't blame anyone but yourself if something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    Yeah, that's quite similar. I'm mainly looking more for a tool that doesn't do all that "for you" but is kind of an extension of the users brain & experience. Think of it as an advanced notes taker... then you can't blame anyone but yourself if something goes wrong.
    You should use Max Msp or Ableton \ M4l if you want this kind of functionality

Moving to Ableton would kind of defeat the purpose. Well, totally for that matter. Isn't Ableton all about having your tunes all beat-matched pre-gig?

Tech Guru

the stability argument has a bit of merit, but its just pushed by NI because they hate their customers ideas. customers in the world of NI are allowed to use NI products to do what NI thinks makes sense. creativity is allowed within the bounds they define.

obviously adding an API to interact with the track browser, the meta tags, heck even track loading would allow for all sorts of useful stuff (not just for custom tagging, but also using a separate screen for the track browsing, etc), has no impact on stability.

furthermore there are plenty of vst's out there and they do not seem to crash ableton. then again for the anti vst stance they say that all of their filters work "in-time" which wouldnt be possible with 3rd party vst's.

oh well.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast