Help w/Digital DJ Set-Up Please
    Tech Student

Default Help w/Digital DJ Set-Up Please

Hello. I am returning to DJing / producing after a 19-year layoff (long story). A lot has changed since I left the scene. I need help setting up my equipment properly. Here is what I have recently purchased:

- 2 Technic 1210s

- 1 Rane TTM57

- 1 Akai APC40 (Ableton controller)

- 1 Akai MPD18 (drum pad/controller)

- 1 M-Audio Oxygen 49 Midi Keyboard

- 1 M-Audio Profire 610

- 2 M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors

- Ableton Live 8
- Serato Scratch Live 2

- 1 Mac Book Pro running OS X 10.6.3

I currently have my Rane mixer connected to the Profire from the MAIN Right & Left out to the Profire's line inputs 3 & 4 in the back. I have my studio monitors connected to Profire's line outputs 1 & 2 in the back.

Playing from Serato/decks works properly. However:

- I cannot play audio out of Ableton (I have change preferences)

- When I play a video on my browser (so I can train using tutorials), the audio will only come out of my speakers *if* Serato is closed. If open, then the browser's audio is muted.

Ultimately, my goals are to:
    * DJ live and incorporate Ableton mixes

• Do remixes, medleys, etc in Ableton and incorporate scractching from decsk

• Produce original music using all my tools

Can you please help me?

Wow nice setup

You could make a default set in ableton live with the correct audio outs and then go from there whenever using it.

If you go into sound preferences on the mac you should be able to pick your default sound out for watching youtube and stuff if thats what you mean.

When incorporating serato and live (i use traktor but i think you could probably do the same) you could route your two serato decks into ableton using rewire or soundflower which is great for adding effects and f you want to add in clips of your own it should be pretty easy to have serato as your master midi clock.

As regards to mixing in ableton ms. pinky is worth having a look at maybe? Or record from your mixer out back into ableton?

I'm not sure if any of that makes any sense but hopefully it helps a bit.
    MBP 13" | M-Audio Oxygen 49 | Launchpad | TSP | NanoKontrol | LPD8

Soundcloud | YouTube | Blog

Free iStuff | UK Cashback

Tech Student

Thanks, MonkeyFish. I appreciate the compliment and response, but it's a bit over my head. I haven't used Ableton yet. I've ordered an online tutorial, but since I'm having trouble setting up and getting sound out, I haven't been able to go through the tutes yet.

I have tried changing my prefs for watching the vids, but that does't really work either. I mean, it will allow me to hear sound from my laptop's speakers, but when practicing scratches through Scratch, it becomes hard to hear the laptop to make sure I'm doing it right. Ideally, I'd like all audio to go through my Profire so regardless of whether I'm playing my decks, a video online, or my iPod, I hear the audio through my studio monitors. Is that possible?

I'm not familiar with the other apps you mentioned.

Are you using timecode or mixing with your own vinyls?

Maybe if you route all your audio through ableton using it as a mixer it would work but i'm not really sure. It's hard to explain and i have never used serato.

In your Serato preferences where is the sound output going?
    MBP 13" | M-Audio Oxygen 49 | Launchpad | TSP | NanoKontrol | LPD8

Soundcloud | YouTube | Blog

Free iStuff | UK Cashback

Tech Student

I'm using timecoded control vinyls. I think I was able to figure it out. Not sure if it's the optimal configuration, but it is working for me now. Apparently Profire assigned a channel to my laptop itself, so I was able to adjust levels there. Thanks for helping out!