Newbie (so to speak) questions about upgrades:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie (so to speak) questions about upgrades:

Hello all,

I'm a part time wedding DJ, mainly. I used to DJ 20+ years ago, with vinyl, and was pretty decent at it, so I can keep people dancing now. (even if I'm not with all the new music all the time) I got back into it after watching a buddy do it, all on the laptop. I figured, "well, I have a laptop, and over 30k songs on my itunes, I should do this!" So... here I am. I am wondering if I should upgrade though, and am looking for input.

My speakers and stands are all fine, Mackie powered, etc. Elan LED light, nothing major, it's enough for what I do. Shur Microphone, wireless, that was a nice expense.
    I have a Behringer mixer, it's a 12 input, 2 bus mixer. Has a mic output, it does exactly what I need it to. I had no idea, after some reading, that the had such a bad rep. I'm now wondering if I'm playing with fire by using it. It's compact, easy to use, and was 100 bucks. I love it. But, wondering if I should buy up and use it as backup.
    I also use the older version of PCDJ Red mobile. From what I understand now, this is bottom of the barrel.
    I'm looking at possibly Trakor Duo? I don't want to spend TOO much on a software program. I just need something with a little more bells and whistles, and ease of use. (track building, etc.) I DJ weddings, birthday parties, and the like. I won't be DJing teenage proms, or clubs, or anything that's going to require me to THAT good. I just want to be better at my niche, so I'm here looking for advice.
    Thanks to all who read this mess, and any responses!

hey buddy no worries. i would say to check out traktor duo and a audio 2 sound card. very small investment but it should work
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

And speaking about upgrades, anyone else get the 'all updates & upgrades are half price in June email from NI' this morning?

Hopefully it'll mean that the TP to TSP crossgrade is 249 Euro rather than 499 ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

behringer makes some decent kit, there are quite a few ddm4000 users here
    Check out my EDM blog: http://lacedwithbass.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Teiresias View Post
    And speaking about upgrades, anyone else get the 'all updates & upgrades are half price in June email from NI' this morning?

Hopefully it'll mean that the TP to TSP crossgrade is 249 Euro rather than 499 ...
    arse, just spotted the "*excludes hardware products"
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If your thinking about upgrading software this is the month to do it with half price upgrades from NI. As far as mixers go that's really up to you, but as a professional photographer I wont walk in to a wedding without a backup.

If you do decide to upgrade mixers or get a controller and sound card make sure you get something that comes with Traktor LE so you have a clear upgrade path to Duo pr Pro.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

OK recommend VCI-100, Audio 2 Sound Card and Traktor Pro

Reason is you can have one software playing your variety music for the dinner or reception and then you can switch up onto your vci-100 for your party set, keeps you flexible.

In a wedding you get some info from your bride and groom but with so much family and friends to also keep happy having this set up and a good external harddrive filled with good tunes you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the input everyone. Is the Audio 2 Sound card an upgrade over my current sound card? I didn't mention it above, but I do have an external sound card, a Creative Solutions Sound Blaster.

definately an upgrade mate!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Great, thanks for the advice!
    Just ordered the Audio 2 with Traktor LE, will upgrade it to Pro when it gets here.

Thanks again everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast