Switching from tables/cdjs to Traktor...
    Tech Wizard

Default Switching from tables/cdjs to Traktor...

Anyone else have a rough time with this? I seem to be.

Considering that I work 45+ hours a week and I have a daughter and a condo I'm working on, I've been trying to make the switch from Serato/tables to Traktor. It's just a completely different feel and with the little time I have to spend playing with music stuff, it's kinda hard. Learning how to get Traktor to do what I want is harder than I thought it would be.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone know of any really good Traktor and Kontrol X1 tutorial videos online? I could use them to speed up this process. And I could use all the gridding tutorials I can get.

Check out Ean's youtube page, all of his videos are right there and are very helpful When I started using traktor youtube was a great source of information, and don't forget, so is this forum, so whenever you have questions, ask! But make sure you search the forum first, chances are it's been asked

Yeah Ean's instructional vid's with the X1 are definitely the best around. For beatgridding, take a look at the beat gridding tutorial by the makers of the traktor Bible

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    Yeah Ean's instructional vid's with the X1 are definitely the best around. For beatgridding, take a look at the beat gridding tutorial by the makers of the traktor Bible
    Thanks for that link. Read it and did some of the things in Traktor and it seems right on. I haven't tried playing anything yet to see how well they stay in sync though. Anyone else use these methods? The few tracks I tried were gridded without me having to do anything to fix them. Which makes me leary on if they've been gridded correctly since the guy says it took him over 200 tracks before he found one that Traktor gridded perfectly on its own.

I just don't understand why I'm having gridding issues. Just can't get things perfectly lined up. I don't want to start gridding all of my collection until I get a gridding system worked out perfectly.

If your music consists of (diy) vinyl rips, then the speed of the tracks may not be 100% steady. What genre do you play? Some non 4/4 genres have the tendency to be hard to grid..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    If your music consists of (diy) vinyl rips, then the speed of the tracks may not be 100% steady. What genre do you play? Some non 4/4 genres have the tendency to be hard to grid..
    House/Techo. All downloaded. Nothing recorded from vinyl.

Tech Wizard

Just keep at it. It was weird for me the first time I started gridding things, and I still have problems. Of course the majority of the music I spin is hip-hop, which makes it even harder. Also look up ean golden's youtube video for beatgridding. I find that most changes can be done by using a correct bpm range for genre (then doubling/halving it accordingly), and then go back and fix others. Some can simply not be done accurately sometimes. I also like to test bpm by listening to a loop of the song and using the internal metronome.

To be honest, 99% of my trance/tech house was gridded perfectly, but the remaining 1% had the correct BPM only a few bars of silence. The tutorial in the Bible taught me how to solve that

Quote Originally Posted by verbal View Post
    House/Techo. All downloaded. Nothing recorded from vinyl.
    Thats weird man - i've never had to grid a song in Traktor
    SC | MC

Yeah man. This is strange. i turned a friend onto Traktor too. he had all beatport and other mp3 downloads and he had a huge problem with beatgridding all of the time. I don't get it. Mine beatgrid 99% of the time. The other day at a party a Beaport track loaded and "looked" beatgridded perfectly but it would not let you sync ??? Just that one track. The sync button would not light up.