How do you DIG?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you DIG?

Tech Guru

Default How do you DIG?

I mean with almost everything having gone digital my local record shop has closed up shop and the nearest one is a good hour drive. I look at the charts on beatport and other websites but most of the stuff is just what you'd expect the top 10 is all the played to death stuff that everyone already has and the artist's top 10 is mostly whatever lastest tracks they have op on that particular site. I sometimes read different blogs (doing so has lead me to this wonderful wonderful site) but that's alot of the same.

So I ask all my fellow Techtools members. In the digital age how do you go about digging for that rare gem that time forgot, or that banging tune that never had a chance over the over produced garbage.
    Last edited by tekki; 06-06-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Corrected the typo! ;)

Tech Guru

I have subscriptions to promo pools and also get stuff to download via email links. I regularly use Beatport, Juno Downloads, and rarely Audio Jelly (in rare instances Im curious about trance). Digging around Soundcloud is also fun to do, and yields interesting work.

Either way, I'm not a hoe.

Tech Guru

What I do:

-When I hear a sick ass track ive never heard before, I run up to the booth (not in an a-hole way since im a club regular), text myself the track, and continue dancing. then serach for it later. Doing so has helped me find this beautiful remix (note, i hate the original):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9KPsNZ5do

-I use blogs. One main one covers mainstream EDM (http://www.vacayvitamins.com/genre/electro/), and the rest ussually stick to the underground stuff (http://www.pennedmadness.com/) and (http://hejven.se/blog/).

Hope that helped

-Gianmarco

I work in a room alone all day, so once every 2-3 days I queue up the new stuff at Beatport & Trackitdown and let it play in the background. If it's something I like, I stick it in the cart. Note that my hit ratio is about 2 tracks per couple days... and there's like 200 a day to sort through. :/

Tech Guru

for getting the stuff:
    blogs, online music stores/labels, e-mailed promos/mailing lists, forums, soundcloud

for discovering the stuff:
    same as above in addition to youtube, online radio, mixtapes and word of mouth.

Yeah a lot of the time I'll just play videos by artists I know in youtube and see what pops up in the sidebar. Also on Itunes, the little part that says "you may also be interested in" or "people who purchased this also purchased..."

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I check blogs and if I hear something I like I'll buy it. The genius bar in itunes some. YouTube some. I listen to the new stuff on Beatport, Juno, Traxsource, etc..
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I use Beatport, search through music forums such as glitchhopforum.com and I'm also subscribed to about 5 blogs organized through Google Reader. This gives me about 50+ new posts every week to read through and though lots of it is you can still find some gems.
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

go on juno, if there's boobs on the cover art i but it

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Banned

I'm sure I'm going to get crucified for this, but this is how I do it.

I log on to my music torrent site and download all the torrents under their house and techno genres, download all the music and then sit down and sort through them. That's about 3500-5000 tunes a week and to be honest a lot of it is garbage that just gets deleted.

Now, after I sort through them and I look at what I have actually saved, and if there's an artists name that pops up a lot I go to beatport and put them on "my Beatport so I can keep up to date on their releases and buy them right away.

So basically I use my torrent sites to find new artists, and then use beatport to keep me up to date on those artists.

Using this method I have discovered a lot of artists/tracks I never would have found on my own as I've never seen or heard any one else play these artists/tunes or even know about them for that matter.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast