Question: is this track list too familiar for a promo mix to hand out to promoters?

Default Question: is this track list too familiar for a promo mix to hand out to promoters?

So I recently recorded a promo mix to hand out, and I realized that the track list is super familiar (at least I think it is...). I think I mixed it pretty well and these are tracks I often play out, pretty much all of them proven to rock the crowd, but I'm wondering if they're too obvious...do promoters want some more less known tracks in a promo mix?

Not asking anyone to listen to the mix, just tell me if you think I should record a mix with a less familiar track list. Advice from promoters especially appreciated!

1. Rhythm Controll - My House (a capella)
    2. Harvard Bass - Caked (Original Mix)
    3. Uffie ft. Pharrel - ADD SUV (Armand Van Helden Vocal Mix)
    4. Crookers & Roisin Murphy - Royal T (Riva Starr Remix)
    5. AC Slater - Take You ft. Ninjasonik (Urchins Remix)
    6. Armand Van Helden - Funk Phenomena 2010 (Starkillers Remix)
    7. AC Slater - Jack Got Jacked (Jack Beats Remix)
    8. Afrojack - Bangduck (Original Mix)
    9. Excision & Datsik - Swagga (Downlink Remix)
    10. Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - The Next Episode (Jay Robinson Clubstep Mix)
    11. Giant - Drumstick VIP (Original Mix)
    12. Dire Straits - Money For Nothing (Giant Bootleg)
    13. Rusko - Woo Boost (Original Mix)
    14. D.I.M. & TAI - Lyposuct (Original Mix)
    15. SonicC - Stickin' (Original Mix)
    16. Diplo & Laidback Luke - Hey! (Foamo Remix)
    17. Congorock - Babylon (Original Mix)
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

I would say not to play the congorock track, the lyposuct track, Jack got jacked, or the afrojack track, and especially not the rusko woo boost, at least not on your promo. Too well known. Just my opinion. It might depend on how big of an edm scene the area has

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    I would say not to play the congorock track, the lyposuct track, Jack got jacked, or the afrojack track, and especially not the rusko woo boost, at least not on your promo. Too well known. Just my opinion. It might depend on how big of an edm scene the area has
    +1, though it does depend on the scene as well, i wouldnt play stickin, swagga, or babylon either

-Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Thanks guys. Advice well taken, I think I'll rerecord the mix with some of those replaced.

By the way, San Francisco is where I am right now, so that's the scene, for those that may know it.
    Last edited by cielomobile; 06-06-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer

sometimes well known is was promoters want. not all promoters are as into music as djs are, even if they are djs. they know that the crowd wants to hear familiar stuff. just be honest with yourself and if you think this tracks are the shit and you like your transitions, i would say you have yourself promo mix! =D

btw the uffie song, is probably the best song right now! we usually play it and people go nuts! we opened for midnight conspiracy this weekend and we played it. after we went on, midnight conspiracy went on a played it again lol =D

Tech Guru

the only problem with the more recognizable anthem type tracks on your list is they're pretty dated.

recongizable isn't bad, but played out tunes that were played out a year ago is. just my opinion, it's subjective. you're the dj, play whatever you want man.

if its a promo for promoters, bar managers etc to listen to, dont make an hour long mix as they wont listen to it... well not all of it! go for about a 15-20 minute mix IMHO

something to think about!

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I might record another mix with newer stuff, you're right duerr that some of these are a bit played out, but I'm not rushing it (I'm going to just hand it out unsolicited; I think that's kinda lame), and I'm not going to get rid of this one. I do think it's well mixed.

By the way the only one of those songs older than a year is Jack Got Jacked! I know some of them seem pretty old, but they're really not...Swagga is the second oldest I believe, and it's a little over 8 months old. I think it's just that tracks seem to age really fast for DJs, although they may not age as quickly for the crowd. (Case in point: I was over Pon De Floor by WMC, but most people were still pretty into it whenever I heard it played there.)
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer

Tech Guru

I think the idea of a 15-20 min promo sounds alot better than a full mix cd also starting off with my house has been done to death I mean don't get me wrong one of the best a capaella out there but I can remember just so many djs starting out with that layered over ever track known to man maybe I'm just old and it's just not as big anymore but thats my 2 cents do with it what you will

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    I think the idea of a 15-20 min promo sounds alot better than a full mix cd also starting off with my house has been done to death I mean don't get me wrong one of the best a capaella out there but I can remember just so many djs starting out with that layered over ever track known to man maybe I'm just old and it's just not as big anymore but thats my 2 cents do with it what you will
    true that... i can think of about 10 promo mixes i've listened to over the years using that as the opener!