Sucky Neighbours
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Sucky Neighbours

just moved into a new apartment and i guess my neighbours aren't too keen on my jam practice.

it's 12 in the afternoon on a Monday and my music isn't terribly loud, but they insist on stomping on the floor like a bunch of clowns. I haven't been playing that long either.

am I an asshole for wanting to enjoy music in my own home at a reasonable hour in the day? I don't think so personally, what do you guys think?

You may need to go up and discuss with the the concepts of "exceeds reasonable expectations of what would be acceptable" and also "demonstrably affects the quality of life of the complainant".

And bring a dB meter.

And a clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    And bring a dB meter.

And a clock.
    There is a 99 cent iPhone dB meter, SPL Meter.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Mentor

If you haven't been playing it for that long (less than an hour or so?) and the music isn't blasting, then I would ignore the neighbours. Sounds like they are just pricks. Sounds like you are dealing with some 50-year-old couple who should be working at this time anyway.

Not to mention as long as it ain't that loud, what can they do? I can't imagine there's a rule that you can't play any music at all.

Then again I still live at home so...my opinion is probably useless.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    but they insist on stomping on the floor like a bunch of clowns.
    Lol at this.

I live in Van too by the way *thumbs*.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I would definetely go down the polite route first.

Go round and discuss. Find out if theres a time when they arent in.
    Try to find common ground because in the UK if they complain enough the authorities will come down on their side.

If your renting they could complain to the landlord and he he could get very pissy with you.

Then if you get no joy. Put Dog Shit through their letter-box

Tech Guru

yeah i've lived in apartments for the last 6 years and this is the first place that has been so intollerant. i think i'm going to have to go up there and talk this one out with them to try and come to some sort of agreement.

i suspect this apartment building doesn't have as much insulation in the floors and walls as previous buildings i've lived in... i don't mind wearing my headphones most of the time, but i need to use my speakers every now and then - i know you guys get it lol.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    I live in Van too by the way *thumbs*.
    oh cool, nice to see some more vancouverites on the board. i'm actually a burnaby kid, but i just say van to keep it simple haha.

It pays to be polite initially.

Sometimes you have to leave sleeping dogs to lie.

I toke it up pretty freely at my place. I am sure the neighbours can smell it and hear me talking about it.

They have 4 Daschund's that bark ALL the TIME!

Now....If i had to go and get cocky about their dogs....whats stopping them from making a call?

As long as you not blasting it and are keeping it to shortish periods, not playing after hours etc....they have no foot to stand on.

You pay rent there....as they do.

Don;t they work?

Why they home during the day?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

yeah i would think monday afternoon would be safe, maybe it's their day off too.

i just moved here so not too sure what their rhythms and routines are. i'm going to be polite though when i talk to them about it. obviously the noise bothers them and i'm not an obnoxious douche bag, i figure if i let them know i'm a reasonable guy they will be a bit more accommodating of my penchant for ruckus - i hope! then again maybe they're assholes and this is going to be very unpleasant ...ughhhh... :/

Banned

I know when I was living in Orlando, by law you could play your music as loud as you want up to 11pm and there was nothing your neighbours could do about it, even if you lived in an apartment complex.

And "loudness' is such a subjective thing to being with. Unless they say the music emitting from your apartment can't exceed X DB at Y feet away, or be X DB from any connecting apartment you have a lot of wiggle room to work with and be able to fight it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast