First promo mix

Thread: First promo mix

Tech Convert

Default First promo mix

Hey DJTT!

I've been dj'ing for a couple of years now, and it has started to become a bit more serious. I'd love to get jobs a clubs and I have friends in some of the sweeter electronica clubs here in copenhagen. Well in order to get booked I obviously have to make a promo mix, but I'm a bit stuck when it comes to the tracks..

When I dj i usually do a mix of super-hits, unknown tracks and my own tracks.
    But how do bookers look upon well-known tracks in promo mixes? Should I leave Daft Punk out (even though it's mashed to bits and pieces), just because bookers are tired of hearing the same tracks every time?

Discuss and help,
    Fred

Tech Wizard

The promo mix should reflect you as a DJ, the kind of music you like and would like to play out to a crowd. If you make a promo mix that is full of top40 remixes for example when you get to the club and blast out something that the club manager was not expecting and doesn't sit will with the punters don't expect to be asked back.

Atleast if you make a promo mix that you can enjoy and is true to yourself, even if only 1 out of 100 people get back to you atleast with that one person you can feel comfortable to play out the music you enjoy.

That's my too cents anyway, I'm sure people will have different opinions
    Monthly Mixes are found at!
    http://www.soundcloud.com/RPresley

Tech Guru

there's quite a few threads about this buddy, do a search you will find some good pointers.

Tech Convert

thanks! I'll do a bit of searching then