Breaking into the club scene without club experience?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Breaking into the club scene without club experience?

Hey techies,

So I'm wondering... how would you guys (and girls) go about breaking into the club scene without any actual club experience?

I've got mostly house party experience, and play very club friendly mixes so I'm told- top 40 mashups with EDM/House more or less... but nothing to go on my "DJ resume".

Any thoughts are appreciated

Well, aren't those things you mentioned things to put on your Resume? I mean, everyone has to start somewhere, you can't get your first club gig and already have experience in a club, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    Well, aren't those things you mentioned things to put on your Resume? I mean, everyone has to start somewhere, you can't get your first club gig and already have experience in a club, right?
    I guess you're right...

That's my resume then!

Well, don't rely solely on me. It's not like I've ever performed at clubs (or performed at all(!)) but I do like to pretend that..

Be seen in the clubs that you want to dj ing. Go out, meet other like minded djs, talk to promoters, club owners and what not.

Start off by talking to the bartender, he/she knows everyone from sub-promoter to club owner.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

^ What Jes said, I've been going to the few good local clubs quite a bit now and have met a couple residents and promoters, became friends and am currently in the works for my first club gig Hopefully happening around months end at a new club in town that is, according to an insider, going to be laptop dj / controllerist friendly !

eastcostams, are you going to play anywhere near Portsmouth?

Tech Mentor

Would you guys say it's possible to just call up a club and let them know what you are all about and organize an appointment or w/e....as a more direct approach....or is going to the club regularly and getting to know people necessary?

Ironically I don't go clubbing very often (I also don't drink which is basically the main factor). I usually just go to the occasional trance dj event once every 2-3 months lol...

@ Shane, about 45 minutes north of portsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    Would you guys say it's possible to just call up a club and let them know what you are all about and organize an appointment or w/e....as a more direct approach....or is going to the club regularly and getting to know people necessary?

Ironically I don't go clubbing very often (I also don't drink which is basically the main factor). I usually just go to the occasional trance dj event once every 2-3 months lol...
    The 1st question they are going to ask you is what kind of pull do you have?Meaning can you bring people into there club/bar. They want numbers!

Another thing is if you dont like to go out to club on regular basis, i would say to surround yourself with like minded dj's. Sooner or later they will hit you up to do a opening or closing set.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast