i/oNEAR CDJ2K for iPad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default i/oNEAR CDJ2K for iPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qrUwfrXb00

the ...loading means that I haven't gotten to it yet or the function just doesn't match up to traktor. All the stuff in purple is the modified functionality because of the difference in what tractor will give a CDJ vs. what's available over MIDI, or because the proper item is missing from TouchOSC currently, like endless encoders for Jog Wheels.

The settings files are available at the bottom for those that are using a Mac. If it has .txt, rename it by deleting the .txt part and it will revert to it's old filetype, which should work. It was the only way I could get them up quickly. For those on windows, you'll still be able to use the TouchOSC file, just not the OSCulator file, so it might need someone to program a translator for it in PD or other windows OSC program. Also, it's currently only deck A and B, but during the week I'll be able to get to C & D.

If you have any suggestions or would like something added that's on a CDJ2K, let me know.
    Last edited by DJPhaidon; 06-14-2010 at 11:40 PM.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Student

Amazing job man, cant wait to try this out. Have you thought about calling the guys theme make touchOSC and telling them what your up 2? They might add endless in a update.

Tech Guru

I'm not understanding why there's things like LINK, USB, etc, since they have nothing to do with Traktor or a MIDI controller. Also, your peak meter markings don't seem to correspond to anything related to a peak meter.

Default looks cool

i'm ready to try it out. where's the layout? did i miss it somewhere?

i'm gonna try the xy jog right now.

new stuff up

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Guru

For simple layouts, Windows users can use the touchosc to PD converter found here...

http://hexler.net/pure-data-patch-generator

This works fine for simple layouts, and gives you a starting place for customizing in PD.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    I'm not understanding why there's things like LINK, USB, etc, since they have nothing to do with Traktor or a MIDI controller.
    The i/oNEAR CDJ2K (play on words from Pioneer. i/o is input/output for geeks, and near being close to) is a proof of concept model of Pioneers flagship model CD turntable converted for iPad using the TouchOSC app. It's not meant to be a complete all in one solution to DJ'ing with the iPad, but more for those that maybe would like to minimize there setup for travel, or who would like to have the controls of 4 CDJ's in one, or at all because of the massive price tag on them.

All of the functions are just not possible because Traktor Pro doesn't use OSC, and the HID support is limited to certain companies, and because TouchOSC is still developing and doesn't have the same certain functions that would make it possible.

Also, your peak meter markings don't seem to correspond to anything related to a peak meter.
    There isn't a peak meter on there, it's a phase sync meter. Since there isn't an endless 100% rotary available on TouchOSC, I messed around with using the 90% rotary or an x/y pad, and the x/y pad just seemed to work better. The outer jog is normally a pitch bend, so I included the pitch bends and a phase sync meter cause it fit.

Tech Guru

All of the functions are just not possible because Traktor Pro doesn't use OSC, and the HID support is limited to certain companies, and because TouchOSC is still developing and doesn't have the same certain functions that would make it possible.
    Huh? NONE of those functions have anything to do with what protocol is being used. What I'm asking is why you have (for instance) the source select buttons LINK, USB, SD, and DISC when your iPad clearly DOESN'T have the ability to link to another iPad to share a library, mount a USB drive or SD card, or play a CD. You have a bunch of buttons that you've labeled because the CDJ2000 has them, but those functions aren't present in your TouchOSC controller. Wouldn't it be more useful to just make the SYNC and MASTER buttons bigger and eliminate the stuff that's in there just for looks? Why limit yourself to 3 cues? Or any capability to control effects?

It just seems like you've sacrificed a lot of room and ergonomics to try and make this look like something it isn't.

There isn't a peak meter on there, it's a phase sync meter.
    I was talking about the "meter" in the top center window, but I realize now that it's telling to your pitch range and isn't a peak meter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    It just seems like you've sacrificed a lot of room and ergonomics to try and make this look like something it isn't.
    Yes, and it was for perfectly good reason, or at least it was in my opinion. Here's why, in long mode, trying not to rant but explain.

Up until the iPad, other than the lemur of course, people who used controllers were always stuck with "their" gear, because it was either expensive to get and/or replace, or wasn't easily modified and changed, minus a few exceptions of which most reside on these forums anyway. Be it 4 CDJ's and a mixer cause they liked the feel, or a VCI-100, or an APC-40. Whatever made them tick, right. Now that touchscreens are becoming affordable, where do they fit and who will find them useful, and for what purpose? Well, without using a touch controller, you would never have known that it is way easier to use touch fader for rapid movement, compared to a traditional fader, but easier for really fine adjustments with the traditional. On the same token, touch knobs are nearly impossible, whereas regular knobs depending on the application, size, range, and resolution might seem nearly as impossible also.

So, why not take one of the things that "traditional" DJ's use against the controller guys, and make the entire thing a touch surface. Give it to the traditional guys and say, have fun, but what do you think and what works better? Just like the Dicer, give them options and us options, and see what comes of it. Hell, make a layout for every controller and let people use them, so they can figure out new techniques and ways of doing things that are different but easier, or not possible using the standard gear. More consumer touchscreens will come about other than the iPad, and if there becomes a larger market for touchscreen interfaces for DJing because some things just work better on a touch screen, we all benefit.

It also furthers the community of people who are using TouchOSC. And to illustrate that, I would like to point out that there are no circular buttons in TouchOSC. My layout has circular buttons. They are actually a horizontal rotary and vertical rotary overlapped and the midi feedback lights them both. I didn't know this was possible until it happened, but now that it's been done, circular buttons have a much higher chance of getting into the next update, which might be of importance to the next big layout that someone else designs.

So... the reason that all the buttons and labels that have absolutely nothing to do with the control available and the bad ergonomics of it all are in place for esthetic and cosmetic reasons. I'm currently figuring out ways to get more of the functions to work like a CDJ, but considering I don't actually own one, it's been quite a few trips to the guitar center to figure out certain functions.

Don't forget, this is just a layout that I've thrown out, but it's completely customizable using the TouchOSC editor.

Default over-lapping controls

how are you doing this? are they completely over-lapped, or are you counting on touching two separate controls together. my first thought for my jog was to overlap two rotaries and set one to invert.

I can't open the layout, i'm on pc. bummer. i looked through your tsi though, and got some ideas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast