Broken DJ headphones + shooting range ear muffs = LOVE. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by biru View Post
    When I was starting out as a recording engineer, there was a guy around who hand made THE BEST cans for drummers. Everyone raved about the separation and how there was no leakage, how clear they were.

Airport ground crew headgear with quality drivers inside them. That was his trick.

Just be careful not to drive them too hard and blow your ears up.
    I think you're talking about the Ed Firth headphones. Got a pair at Guitar Center for fifty bucks; I play with a drummer and needed something really sound-isolating. The problem is they don't have big drivers -- the sound is clean but far too low and I wind up turning the volume up more than usual. This hack seems like the perfect solution. I've lost two pair of the Sonys but the drivers are still good -- it's true, these are pretty much meant to fail. I might try this hack myself some day to get the perfect set of sound-isolating cans for really loud environments. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    woah wicked man! this should be on the DJTT blog
    Thanks for the great responses! Maybe I'll try to format it a bit better and see if Ean and the guys are down with the idea

Lol awesome. Mine broke too, I just chucked them in the garbage -.-

Anybody own a pair of mdr700s that has lasted over 1-2 years? Pretty sure they are designed to blow up and crack once 2 years hit.
    And you're right rt24, I had two pair, the first lasted 2 years, and the second pair maybe 3 I have non-DJ sony headphones that are over 15 years old and still going strong...

Once I took the Sony cans apart, I was baffled at how ridiculously intricate they are... only to fall apart. While the Lightening Earmuffs don't do the "swivel cup", they do flip all the way over so you can hold it to your ear if needed. Not that I can remember ever using the swivel feature, lol
    Last edited by Villinus; 06-14-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Awesome guide!
    I have an old pair of broken cans lying around that I might try and do this with, provided the drivers are still good, would have to buy some wiring for them too...
    Thanks for posting this!
    As to the Sony's being really intricate... sometimes simplicity is perfection
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Great diy thread. Way to get creative!

Good stuff, needed something like this last monday, played a deafening loud club,
    turned the monitors off just to dip the level a bit, these days some clubs are just too loud.
    either that or i'm getting old.............. get off my lawn and turn that racket down, yung uns! sneer!

already scanning ebay for broken high quality headphoes.... great idea, big thanks for the input!!!

bravo! nice, i love it!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

next step....MASS PRODUCTION!

-Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tech Guru

So in your opinion Villinus after performing this mod, how does the sound isolation compare to the actual V700?, or to the Sennheiser HD-25's?

Very cool stuff man, props

^^^Well I haven't heard the Sennheiser HD-25's enough to comment on them, however the isolation in the modded cans is far greater than the V700's. My roommate (who's room is across the hall from my room. We browse the web and yell at each other about various things randomly) has complained since the creation of these, that I'm dead to the world when he yells at me

Additionally, with the added sound reduction, I've noticed that it keeps more of the sound in, and they really get louder than I would ever need to crank them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast