Jog Scratch Timecode. How they work?
    Tech Student

Default Jog Scratch Timecode. How they work?

Hi, I came post here because it seems the right place to do it and like your incentives for the DIY community.
    I’m trying to understand how Jog Wheels and Timecode works, but didn’t have to much lucky. Only found how to map it, and didn’t understand well.
    My questions are:

What kind of signals/parameters/units the Jog Wheel or the Timecode use?
    The Jog wheel works with MIDI signal, right? What kind – like a knob (0-127 Increase/Decrease) or ++value/--value without range limit, in opposition to the knob?

The Timecode can only be send from analog sources (ex. RCA’s) or can be generated by a Jog Wheel for example?
    My idea it’s to build a turntable, the first step it´s to get the signals to program and do a scratch, the second one it’s to install one motor and get it to work like the Timecode – but without pitch, always turns at the same speed.

There is plenty of information about this, but not the way I understand it and information I want, because I don’t have the right stuff to test the midi connections and configurations.

Thanks for the attention
    Best regards

Mudo

Keywords:

Rastieri scratcher.
    Midi time code and smpt.
    Analog timecode singnal generation and demodulation.
    Grey Code.

With this searches you could start to understand some background.

Tech Student

Thank you very much for your clues.
    After searched for a while for all the keyword, I get to this topic http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...t=14342&page=3 , and learned a lot .
    But for my first project I think in something simpler, no PCB’s, no complicated skill’s if you know what I mean.
    My idea it´s to use the mouse sensor to send (-1,0,1 )signals to MIDI, after this the signal returns to 0 to receive another +or- information.
    The second idea it’s to use the linear mouse movement to know where the track is playing. Imagine transforming the Mikeys from the mouse in some sort of time code. Maybe it’s needed some program to emulate Time code Input.
    My first efforts where developed with GlovePie, since my idea it’s a matter of message translation. I have no skill in programming, so I’m having troubles in solve the code, but the glovePie forum seems to help. I don’t know if the translation of message has big delays and the way to go is the midi way, but for now working HID to MIDI would be great.
    I think this have a great potential because of the simplicity and versatility, but that’s what I think .
    It would be great if people with skills can help.

Here's the code for GlovePIE to turn mouse movement into cc commands:
    Code:
    }

var.d= Delta(Mouse1.DirectInputX);
    if var.d>0 {
    	for var.n = 1 to var.d do midi.channel4.Breath=true;
    elseif var.d<0 {
    	for var.n = 1 to -var.d do midi.channel5.Breath=true;
    }

var.d= Delta(Mouse1.DirectInputY);
    if var.d>0 {
    	for var.n = 1 to var.d do midi.channel6.Breath=true;
    } elseif var.d<0 {
    	for var.n = 1 to -var.d do midi.channel7.Breath=true;
    }
    I'm using two mice on one comuter so i also use mouse swallow. That makes only the right mouse to move the cursor on screen.

Code:
    mouse.Swallow = true
    mouse.LeftButton = mouse2.LeftButton
    mouse.MiddleButton = mouse2.MiddleButton
    mouse.RightButton = mouse2.RightButton
    mouse.DirectInputX = mouse.DirectInputX + Delta(mouse2.DirectInputX)
    mouse.DirectInputY = mouse.DirectInputY + Delta(mouse2.DirectInputY)

Mudo

And if you want to go far away... start with this:

http://www.casainho.net/tiki-index.p...MIDI+turntable

You have pd patch with some cool ideas...