Using Two Soundcards
    Tech Wizard

Default Using Two Soundcards

Hello,

I am using Numark Omni Control with Traktor LE on a Macbook and I want to be able to use both the soundcard of my Macbook as well as the soundcard of the Omni Control. I want to be able to send the master out to the Macbook using its internal soundcard and to use the Omni Control soundcard to hear the cueing headphones. Traktor LE only lets me use one soundcard at a time.

I was reading about this, and apparently there is a way to make aggregate audio on the Macbook, but I am unable to do so, as the Omni Control soundcard does not appear in the list of audio devices. It should, because I am able to use it fine with Traktor LE, and it appears in the drop down menu of Traktor LE when choosing sound output, but I can't see it when I try to make an aggregate audio device.

Can anyone help me configure the sound so that I can send the masters out to the Macbook through its internal soundcard but be able to listen to the cueing headphones from the Omni Control soundcard?

Thanks!

Even simpler solution:

1) Connect the main output of the Omni to the LINE In on the Macbook

2) Download and install Line In

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Leave the default Input and output configuration, click on PASS THRU, and Voilą, you have audio on your macbook speakers.
    The Phat One

Tech Wizard

Thanks for your reply, DJ Phatso,

I already tried that and sending the Omni Control's output into my Macbook line-in produces a horrible feedback/whining sound. I have tried everything, from turning off the internal mic to removing the charger to turning off the wi-fi, but the feedback is there. I contacted Numark and they say that sending the output from the Omni Control into the line-in is bound to create the feedback and is not recommended.

I'm not to familiar with mac's, but isn't there something called soundflower that would allow you to do this????

If you to your 'Audio Midi Setup' in utilities you can create an aggregate device of the two soundcards combined. I'm not at my mac so I can't help too much further bt if you do a google search I'm sure you'll find what you need
    fart.

Tech Wizard

Str8upDrew: Soundflower is good to send audio from one application to another, but it doesn't work in my case.

silver fox: I tried to make the aggregate device, but the utility is not showing Omni Control's soundcard in the list, so there is no way for me to combine it. I have connected the Omni Control and it is working fine with Traktor, I am just not sure why my Mac won't see it and show it in the audio devices.

Tech Wizard

Ok. So I have found a solution, and a big thanks to Str8upDrew who suggested that I use Soundflower.

The problem was that I was apparently using an older version of the driver for Omni Control. I downloaded and installed the latest driver, and I was able to see the Omni Control as a separate sound device in both my Audio Device Utility as well as in Soundflower. I tried to make an aggregate sound, but the Omni Control would still not show in the selectable menu from which you can combine sound devices.

Anyhow, here is how I solved the problem for anyone else who is looking for a solution. I selected Soundflower 16ch as the soundcard to be used by Traktor LE while using the Omni Control. In Audacity, I chose Soundflower 16ch as the input. From the Soundflowerbed, I chose to send the monitoring sound (4 channels) to the Omni Control soundcard. This way, I was able to record the master using Audacity while sending the monitoring (4 channel) sound to the Omni Control, where I could use the headphones as monitoring and cueing.

Seems complicated, but it worked for me!

Good to hear maaangg! Glad it worked out for you. Although it's odd your omni control didn't show up on the aggregate device list. Oh well
    fart.