Slightly OT - Epic Personal DJ Fails
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Slightly OT - Epic Personal DJ Fails

Alreet peeps......

So, to set the scene, I was just recording a mix on Traktor for my soundcloud page playing some funky techy eletro-y house, all going swimmingly coming towards mixing in the last track having been going for an hour nearly. Best one I had done all week so far as well, still getting to grips with Digi DJing.
    I went to start the last track on the opposite deck and what did i do? Hit play on the wrong fuckin deck!!! Last cue point was nearly at the beginning so jumped straight back to it. No editing software for me so I can't just chop in a new bit, could have chuffin screamed!!! Probably not that bad but got stressed out and had to turn it off!!!

Also, my friend had a massive house party the other night and there's always the comments after parties that we wish we'd had a web cam set up on the booth and facing the party to catch some of the antics (as there no doubt always is), there was between 70-100 people, biggest one of the year, there so we got two set up pointing at us DJing and facing the kitchen out onto the patio where everyone gathers set to record on to my mates hard drive. It was about half an hour before all was properly due to kick off and as I'm setting up I switched some USB cables round to allow to use all of our gear and took a couple out of the hub I thought weren't being used and you guessed it, no feed to the webcams, didn't realise til the wee small hours the next morning!!!

I guess in a way this thread should be called Fyoog is a clutz but it got me to thinking what is your 1) most epic personal DJ fail where like my first one you have been on your own or with a couple of mates and you have done something that almost drives you to self harm but that is only influenced by you and/ or 2) something that was also completely influenced by you playing out (no random drunk guy bumping the deck in club, sound guy failing so you look stupid etc)?

I'm sure there are plenty of brilliant stories like this on here so fess up!

P.S This includes you Ean!!!
    Last edited by Fyoog; 06-17-2010 at 04:36 AM.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

a bit too much booze and smoke once and i was hitting the hotcues for the wrong deck on my padkontrol. This happened 3 times and I threw in the towel, was a small house party nobody cared
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

last weekend i had to mix internally wich i never do...so i´m mixing nad suddenly the music turns off. i´m totally confused searching for the sound guy...we´ve been looking for about 15 min what the problem was and then i started laughing...i had my crossfade (that i never use) on the wrong deck...fail!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Had to DJ a New years eve gig a few years ago for a south Asian party -- mostly Punjab crowd that wanted to hear bhangra and Bollywood all night long. I was supposed to be the warmup DJ -- supposedly getting relieved just after the midnight countdown by an actual Indian DJ who the crowd knew. Before the gig I bought a pile of bhangra compilation CDs and a bunch of stuff off the net. I had tons of bhangra and bollywood on my hard drive for the gig, but its mostly stuff I had never heard before. It's usually not my style to just wing it, but this gig I was flyin by the seat of my pants. Anyway the headline DJ, it turns out, has never DJd before, and he was piss drunk by 10pm. He plugs a mic into the mixer and starts shouting stuff like "where are all my Indians at!!!" to this crowd of about 100... he has me cut the sound and he gets the crowd hyped up as I cue the next song. I don't recognize it but I load it into the deck, paying attention to the BPM but kind of ignoring everything else on the screen. He's all like "Are you guys ready for some Desi music?! Some Bhangra!!!! Yeahhhhh!!!" he has people shouting "bhangra, bhangra" and signals for me to start the song. On cue I drop the beat .... aaaaaaaaaaand I hear congas.... it's a fucking salsa song. D'oh!!!!

I quickly recovered and pretended I was just fucking with the other DJ or something but man that was embarrassing. Luckily the guy was so tanked that people quickly forgot about my screwup as they began shouting for him to shut the hell up after a while. When it did come time for him to play, he wouldn't even touch my equipment - it was clear he'd never used it before. I asked him what software he was going to use and he didn't understand the question. I put on a long song and plugged his laptop output into a mixer channel and figured he'd do whatever from there. A minute left in the song and I looked at him; he's got iTunes open and is looking around the iTunes Music Store. I was like what the fuck? Needless to say I ended up playing bhangra songs I didn't know all night long....

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    .... aaaaaaaaaaand I hear congas.... it's a fucking salsa song. D'oh!!!!
    Classic!! LOL
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Quote Originally Posted by earl panda View Post
    last weekend i had to mix internally wich i never do...so i´m mixing nad suddenly the music turns off. i´m totally confused searching for the sound guy...we´ve been looking for about 15 min what the problem was and then i started laughing...i had my crossfade (that i never use) on the wrong deck...fail!
    that's a nice one man, i've re-assigned my crossfader and mix only with the volume faders, partially for this reason but also because i prefer to mix 100% with upfaders.
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

Quote Originally Posted by Fyoog View Post
    No editing software for me so I can't just chop in a new bit, could have chuffin screamed!!! Probably not that bad but got stressed out and had to turn it off!!!
    Get Audacity, it's free and very easy to edit out mistakes with. Just leave your self a pause so you can easily see the mistake in the wave for, keep the levels all the same, start mix again.

Open up wav in audacity and edit out mistake

easy

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by earl panda View Post

DOH!

Sometimes....when starting my set and opening Traktor...the FILTER knob is enabled!!??!

I start the track....and it sounds ODD man.....then notice the filter.

Its usually within a couple secs....so have never been caught out like that.....but yeah....if i were pissed.....

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Get Audacity, it's free and very easy to edit out mistakes with. Just leave your self a pause so you can easily see the mistake in the wave for, keep the levels all the same, start mix again.

Open up wav in audacity and edit out mistake

easy

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    Awesome, cheers for the tip!! I have heard of Audacity but as I'm still new to the game I didn't know enough of what to do with it. I'm self teaching everything at the mo, hence the reason I love this site so much as it has realised me the love of DJing again after a 4 year gap (plus the change to Digi).

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ive ejected the Cd from the CDJ thats playing a few times.
    Fucking technical staff at the venue keep unlocking the CDJs for a joke.

First thing i do now is check the Eject Lock at every gig..!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast